crank seal replacement cost ?

KEEBZ489

Original poster
Jan 16, 2018
Howard Beach NY
anyone have an idea on the cost of the crank / balancer seal replacement cost ? 2005 4.2 , also any other things i should look at while its apart ?

to big a job for me right now , but no idea on costs , i dont have access to all data any more

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Shouldn't be too bad. Don't know what shop manuals say time wise but I figure a couple of hours for a competent shop to do. Pull the fan and shroud, take belt off, pull balancer bolt and balancer, pull and replace seal, reinstall balancer with new bolt, belt and fan.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I thought there was a thing about the water pumps to watch out for during replacement, something about the vanes being plastic or metal, or something???

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
With everything apart, replacing the water pump is just another 30 minutes so 3.5 hours for the rest ain't bad. The book estimates are usually high.

I think at one time, the impeller was available either in cast iron or stamped steel. Now they all seem to be stamped. If possible I'd stay with AC Delco. I've had bad luck with aftermarket.

zaid3ssaf

Jan 1, 2020
Midwest
I got quoted 300-$500 for the crank seal alone. doing that with the timing cover gasket, the quote jumped to $1000. I think its too high so either I'd buy an impact, puller, and something to hold the flexplate and do the job myself, or get a backyard mechanic to help me.

KEEBZ489

Original poster
Jan 16, 2018
Howard Beach NY
i am the backyard mechanic lol i was expecting $300 or so myself. he is using a delco , i just dont know what part number , i see they have 2 different part numbers , 252-822 vs 251-731 , i doubt im getting the better one. i think im eating the time they spent trying to figure out my abs issues and couldnt nail down

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
If you rightly decide to do this work yourself... This is the Definitive Thread on this topic ... with the Link to @Matt 's Epic Water Pump R&R Thread, too:

Last edited:

KEEBZ489

Original poster
Jan 16, 2018
Howard Beach NY
no , im eating this one. i decided even before i seen the thread on whats involved. its blowing out , im at work , 30 mile commute i just wanted to make sure im not getting jacked

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It's always the labour that costs. If we break it down:
Seal: $10
HB bolt: $10 (dealer)
Pump: $40 (252-822 ACDelco Pro)

So that's $60 of parts with almost $700 labour.

The 251-731 is the OEM part and double the price. Not worth it.

251-755 looks to be a booster pump to the rear heater core on EXT's.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
$405.31 before tax, priced through the job estimator software at my work. 3.4 hours labor.

*didn't read all replies, this quote was for the crank seal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooseman

KEEBZ489

Original poster
Jan 16, 2018
Howard Beach NY
And this is why I don’t trust shops. This one has rave reviews on yelp and google , over 100.

They tell me it’s the water pump that was wobbling and cause the belt to slip off. I get 1/2 mile away and pull over to check , the new belt was riding the edge of the Ac pulley.

Luckily I got my short bypass belt back so I swapped it and drove home 30 miles no problem.

The engine is slightly quieter / drone noise is half what it was so I’m pretty sure the water pump was going.

I also guess I didn’t get the Ac pully on 100% , or even possibly it slid off the new bearing 1/16” ? Either way I can do with out it for the winter , the Ac will wait or I just might try to sell it as is

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online