Crank no start

Rick

Original poster
Jul 18, 2016
S. Arizona
06 TB EXT, pulled the dash tracing water dripping into passenger floorboard. After I pulled the dash, started engine so I could simulate previous conditions with A/C being on to look for water, everything was running fine, then it was like a switch was thrown and the engine stopped. Now it only cranks, doesn't even try to start, just cranks. I left the battery disconnected last night, connected this morning and just the crank, no attempt to start. Again, it was running while I was looking around and then it just shut off.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
A few things to address...

(1) Do you have an OBD2 Scanner to connect to the DLC under the Dashboard and Read Codes and System Status of the PCM? If so... Try to use it to record any Codes you can access and post them back here.

(2) Have you been Charging the Battery during the un-plugged time line? The PCM more or less enjoys around 12.5 Volts DC Power to run properly and communicate.

(3) The Dripping Water is likely just condensate coming from the Evaporator if the Drain Tube has gotten clogged with a Moldy Plug inside the Plastic Fascia.

(4) Open up the Under Hood Fuse Box (PDC- Power Distribution Center) and TIGHTEN down the Galvanized Fasteners that Hold the Upper Block to the Fuse Wire Bundles underneath.

(5) Check around the Engine for any signs of "Rodent Life" as Deer Mice and other vermin like to wear down their teeth gnawing on Wiring, Plastic Coverings and Electrical Connectors. Wear a Mask and Gloves when handling their Feces and Urine soaked nesting materials as they carry the dreaded Hanta Virus and you might get infected if inhaling dust or touching that stuff.

(6) Watch this Video from @MAY03LT for No Start Diagnostic suggestions to follow next. Take a moment to Screen Print and save the Diagram Drew uses to illustrate how the system works and then refer to this image often while checking off things that make the Engine Start and Run... or fail to do so.

Click on "Watch On YouTube"

...and here is Eric "O" from SMA (South Main Auto) working other issues with No Crank - No Start:

Last edited:
Reactions: Rick and azswiss

Rick

Original poster
Jul 18, 2016
S. Arizona
A few things to address...

(1) Do you have an OBD2 Scanner to connect to the DLC under the Dashboard and Read Codes and System Status of the PCM? If so... Try to use it to record any Codes you can access and post them back here.

(2) Have you been Charging the Battery during the un-plugged time line? The PCM more or less enjoys around 12.5 Volts DC Power to run properly and communicate.

(3) The Dripping Water is likely just condensate coming from the Evaporator if the Drain Tube has gotten clogged with a Moldy Plug inside the Plastic Fascia.

(4) Open up the Under Hood Fuse Box (PDC- Power Distribution Center) and TIGHTEN down the Galvanized Fasteners that Hold the Upper Block to the Fuse Wire Bundles underneath.

(5) Check around the Engine for any signs of "Rodent Life" as Deer Mice and other vermin like to wear down their teeth gnawing on Wiring, Plastic Coverings and Electrical Connectors. Wear a Mask and Gloves when handling their Feces and Urine soaked nesting materials as they carry the dreaded Hanta Virus and you might get infected if inhaling dust or touching that stuff.

(6) Watch this Video from @MAY03LT for No Start Diagnostic suggestions to follow next. Take a moment to Screen Print and save the Diagram Drew uses to illustrate how the system works and then refer to this image often while checking off things that make the Engine Start and Run... or fail to do so.

Click on "Watch On YouTube"

...and here is Eric "O" from SMA (South Main Auto) working other issues with No Crank - No Start:

1. Being battery was disconnected, it reset. But I have two historic codes, c0300 and B2725.

2. Battery didn't change overnight, but is a month old and still strong.

3. I will need to look for, find and fix that clog. Produces a ton of water in the floor.

4. Tightened the bolds a little. Didn't want to over do it, none were very loose.

5. No rodent signs, even though we do have them around on our property. Constant game of cat (me and my traps) and mouse/rats. But nothing that I have seen yet.

6. Watched video and he is referring to more of a no crank situation. Mine cranks but no start.

Thanks for help!

Reactions: mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Check all of the Fuses in the Under Hood AND Under Seat Fuse Boxes. The Two Codes that relates to the TCCM Switch involve a possible Electrical Short, too. If they emerged after you removed the Dash Fascia and other things...they might be related if they JUST occurred afterwards:

B2725 CHEVROLET code possible causes

• Faulty Transfer Case Range Selection Switch
  • Transfer Case Range Selection Switch harness is open or shorted
  • Transfer Case Range Selection Switch circuit poor electrical connection
  • Faulty Transfer Case Control Module
Since you were "In the Dash..." the cause and origin might have started with some under-dash wiring getting accidentally jostled relating to the Steering Column and the Ignition Switch. Re-tracing your steps might bring something to mind if you give that area the 'once over' visually and GENTLY move those wires around while actuating the Ignition Key to see if things come back to life.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rick

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

Reactions: mrrsm and Rick

Rick

Original poster
Jul 18, 2016
S. Arizona
Retracing steps helped with the removing the dash. Had disconnected a harness, put back together, must have not gotten it seated back all the way, but was enough to look connected. Disconnected and reconnected every connection. That's for the mental exercise/reminder to go check my own flub ups. Now onto the drain being plugged up and drainage. Thanks fellas!

Reactions: mrrsm

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online