crank, no start, no codes

timviking

Original poster
May 30, 2018
Michigan
The 2004 TrailBlazer LTZ was running (idling) then died. Since then, it cranks fine, but won't start. I tried some starting fluid directly through the intake butterfly, and not even a cough. The tank was low, and my son had just filled it, so I suspected the fuel pump, known they can be an issue on these trucks.
It seems now a spark issue. Later today, I'm going to re-test spark. I took out one coil, put in a fresh plug, but didn't see spark when cranking. I'm going to try a couple more (and look closer) but what else should I be trying or testing?

m.mcmillen

Apr 29, 2016
Wisconsin
Did you ground the spark plug when you were testing for spark? Just having it in the coil will not be enough. I usually get a piece of wire with an alligator clip on the end and clamp it to the threaded portion of the plug. Clamp the other end either to the negative on the battery cable or a known good ground.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

Reactions: 16vcabman

timviking

Original poster
May 30, 2018
Michigan
tried the spark plug test, grounded from the spark plug to the battery negative. Still no spark. I've seen the above video, but with a basic code reader and no fuel pressure tester, my diagnostics are limited. I'll check fuse 28.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online