Craftsman Tools...

Me007gold

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Just wanted to share my experence with Craftsman swivel head riveter. I wasnt even able to set one rivet before this thing broke on me. I was in the process of installing the redline good hood struts. I dont even know if its worth my time to swap this thing out..... Made in China piece of shit.....

DSC_0667.jpg
DSC_0666.jpg

DSC_0665.jpg

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
I've got a regular Craftsman rivet tool that is about 20 years old, and still going. I'd take your broken one back
and replace it. Last time I had to replace a Craftsman tool, they didn't have the same one in stock. I got
an upgrade... :biggrin: I was even honest with the guy, in that I was asking the tool to do more than I should have,
and he still swapped it out.

As with anything, YMMV, but I've always had good luck with Craftsman tools....though a lot of mine
could possibly be considered "classic" by now...

For really heavy duty rivet jobs, I borrowed a Snap-On thread in rivet tool from a friend of mine.

What are you trying to rivet?

Good Luck!

Chris

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Take it back....Thats what the warranty is for.

Me007gold

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Take it back....Thats what the warranty is for.

I plan on it, however There is only one sears in this city, so I would imagine, the other ones on the shelf were from the same production run, and may have the same issues.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
I bought one from lowes I think its a stanley to be honest, thing has taken a beating I got my 19.99 out of it and then some.

I have noticed the quality of craftsman has gone down tremendously, along with the prices.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Me007gold said:
I plan on it, however There is only one sears in this city, so I would imagine, the other ones on the shelf were from the same production run, and may have the same issues.

I would imagine you got the one bad one of the batch and the rest are perfectly functioning and virtually indestructible...

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
Me007gold said:
I was in the process of installing the redline good hood struts.

Oops...sorry...read right past this. I'd have to look at the installation procedure for those struts, but
it might be a bit more of a load that the rivets are good for. You may end up needing a heavier duty
tool and rivet setup.

I was replacing the window motor in my old S10 whe I used the Snap-On tool. Between the weight of the
motor, load of the window and the thickness of the sheet metal, it really needed the beefier tool.

Hardtrailz...not sure about the virtually indestructable part nowadays... :wink: That's at least one of the reasons
a lot of my tools are as old or older than I am. :wink:

Cheers-

Chris

fishguy1123

Dec 5, 2011
Most of my tools (socket/ratchets) are craftsman. I broke a 3/8 ratchet trying to get the drain plug out of the rear diff. It was my fault since I had to use a hammer to get it to break free. I went to replace it a couple days later and all was good till I was "playing" with it while browsing before I left. The ratchet would slip half the time. Swapped it again before I left. Only used it once since then so hopeing it holds up for a lil while at least.

jbones

Dec 5, 2011
Is there a Red Line hood strut thread yet to come :yes:

P.S. Sorry to hear about the tool, always sucks in the middle of doing something!

Me007gold

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
jbones said:
Is there a Red Line hood strut thread yet to come
yes.gif

P.S. Sorry to hear about the tool, always sucks in the middle of doing something!

I made a post in the what did you do to your rig today thread.

christo829 said:
Oops...sorry...read right past this. I'd have to look at the installation procedure for those struts, but
it might be a bit more of a load that the rivets are good for. You may end up needing a heavier duty
tool and rivet setup.

I was replacing the window motor in my old S10 whe I used the Snap-On tool. Between the weight of the
motor, load of the window and the thickness of the sheet metal, it really needed the beefier tool.

Hardtrailz...not sure about the virtually indestructable part nowadays... :wink: That's at least one of the reasons
a lot of my tools are as old or older than I am. :wink:

Cheers-

Chris

It was the tool the instructions said to use.... any ways. I replaced it no questions asked, and this one works properly.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I have noticed that the older craftsman stuff is pretty good but some of the newer stuff is a little sad. In my case I'm not sure whether to blame the tool or myself for shearing off my breaker bar.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Their eVolv tool line is made in china. While the prices are attractive I'm personally getting sick of made in china. I wanted some basic pliers and wrenches in the SIlverado and finally went to Sears and found a good 'ole Made in USA Craftsman set. A bit more $$$ and included a needle nose that I didn't think I would ever need. Guess which one was the first I used!

Badbart

Nov 20, 2011
Sparky said:
I have noticed that the older craftsman stuff is pretty good but some of the newer stuff is a little sad. In my case I'm not sure whether to blame the tool or myself for shearing off my breaker bar.

They don't make them like they used to....like everything else these days, it's all about money.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Mark20 said:
Their eVolv tool line is made in china. While the prices are attractive I'm personally getting sick of made in china. I wanted some basic pliers and wrenches in the SIlverado and finally went to Sears and found a good 'ole Made in USA Craftsman set. A bit more $$$ and included a needle nose that I didn't think I would ever need. Guess which one was the first I used!

The overseas production does not end at craftsman Snap on now makes Blue Point and Cornwell started making Blue power sockets and some air tools all from overseas. It's kinda sad to see those guys move some production.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
My craftsman jack has been pretty good so far. I've had it a little over a year now.

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
I hate craftsman tools. The screwdrivers don't fit right, and the sockets, even if they aren't cracked or chipped, can EXPAND. That made the removal of my cat impossible until I got the SK sockets out. :hissyfit: :hissyfit: My new cat is only held in with 2 nuts.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
I have had the cheap pink and purple women's wal-mart tool set, and even though I can't wrench as hard as you all can, they had done really good for what it's worth. I got hubby a few hand tools from there and so far they have lasted through some brutal beatings, and has had no issues at all.
My ex husband spent over $2500 on craftsmen tools a few years back, and when we divorced the only thing that was left out of what he bought was a ratchet set he got from the dollar store lol. I don't have any issues at all taking the cheaper way out these days. It used to be like the saying "You get what you pay for" but it seems like it's been the complete opposite lately, most of the cheaper stuff works and lasts a lot better than the expensive stuff.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
I say that cheaper tools will work great for 95% of people on this board and last. The reason why Snap On,Mac,Cornwell etc exist is for the people that make a living off there tools. I have given my dad craftsman and they just don't hold up on semi work. When it comes down to it cheap tools are perfect for the normal people like us lol but for them a high end tool is needed to get the job done over&over. IMHO I have a good amount of the high end brands passed down and there is a difference. Does it make a difference to me? not really cheap stuff would work too, the one thing I do recommend is a good fine tooth ratchet that's the one item I have found that can not be found comparable in cheaper brands. WOW we have gotten off topic from craftsmen riveters lol

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I must say that i bought a portable Craftman racket set and a Pittsburgh one recently and the Pittsburgh just seems nicer and is what I choose almost every time. Lifetime warranty like Craftman, but cheaper.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I refuse to buy stuff from harbor freight simply because it is made in China (unless it is something that you can't get made here anyway). I'm sick and tired of crap being made overseas.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Sparky said:
I refuse to buy stuff from harbor freight simply because it is made in China (unless it is something that you can't get made here anyway). I'm sick and tired of crap being made overseas.

You cant get most products as made here anyway, so I dont even care. There is more toyota and honda parts made and their assembled here than most fords and gms.

There are few American made products I have purchased recently that were any better than overseas counterparts. If the quality was actually better and gave me a reason to spend more, maybe I would support more US based products.

The really is not much of a national economy anymore, it is much closer to a world economy.

I do wonder what computer you use that is made in america....

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I built it so it is USA Made :tongue: I know the components aren't. That's why I said when I can. I know I can't all the time. And I've had far more Chinese-made crap break on me than USA made.

If I can get a part made here, or a part made overseas, and quality is similar, you bet I'm buying the one made here.
If I can't get a part that is made here, then fine.
If I get a part made here, or a part made overseas, and the overseas part is better quality, well, in most cases I'll complain and buy the overseas one. However I have rarely run into that personally.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online