crack in plastic radiator

LVJJJ

94 k-1500, discovered about a 3" vertical crack in the driver's side plastic radiator side tank right around where the upper oil cooler line screws in. Leaking pretty bad. I can get a new rad at NAPA in town here for $185 but have heard about plastic repair kits. Those things work? Since we use the Burb for towing a TT in the desert and over mountains am a little concerned that the plastic patch might fail. Any thoughts or experience with these kits out there?

Drec

I agree, replace it. You might be able to repair it, but if it fails, it might be at a very bad time.

Mooseman

And they are relatively cheap nowadays. CCC are actually pretty good. Look for Prime Choice on eBay.

djthumper

Administrator
The plastic repair kits work well if you get everything cleaned up very well and get the crack Ved out and dry. By the time you take things out and buy everything to do it right you could have saved the time by replacing it.

OP
OP
L

LVJJJ

thanks all, that's the validation I was looking for, I agree. Never having a plastic radiator before (been towing with '65 Chevy Van) wasn't sure if there was a magic fix or not, not.

OP
OP
L

LVJJJ

got a new one from NAPA for $179, put it in in an hour or so. the General did do good engineering when it came to replacing the radiator as you can get to all of the bolts and hoses from the top.

dna59

Mine took a dump in the week as well. I just replaced it... didn't want to have to worry about a repair failing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Unanswered questions
Answered questions
Members
Latest member
AGRAZ
Top Bottom