Couple issues with 2002 trailblazer ltz

deerslayer1985

Original poster
Feb 26, 2015
I have a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer LTZ with the 4.2 I6. I have been have a slight problem when I come to a stop the oil pressure gauge starts dropping, and it says oil pressure low shut off engine. If I give it gas it goes away and pressure goes up. It doesn't do it every time, but occasionaly when I stop it does this. The engine sounds fine though. It has no ticking or abnormal sounds when it does this. I checked the oil, and it was in the good mark, but it has less than it did at the oil change. So I checked for a leak. I have been parking in old gravel parking spot that is grown up in grass. I put it on concrete, and it is leaking oil. There is a couple small spots right behind the passenger side wheel. It is hitting control arm, or frame and running down both side. I can't tell where it is coming from, but its right below like the 3rd cylinder on the passenger side of engine. Anyone know where that could be from. Also is that low oil pressure likely just a bad switch? Thanks for any help..

Sir ffeJ

Dec 1, 2011
That location is right around where the oil filter is. Have you gotten under there and tried to tighten up? It's a start.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
The oil pressure sensor switch is also known to develope a leak. That could also explain the low pressure reading.

deerslayer1985

Original poster
Feb 26, 2015
Thanks for the link Blazingtrails. So I am about do for an oil change....Is the oil filter coming loose a thing that happens sometimes? I'm hoping thats what it is. I haven't been home to check it for my wife, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Robbabob

Dec 10, 2012
Seems to be an epidemic of oil pressure and A/C issues lately.

So you know, the oil pressure gauge is just a switch.... there is either pressure or no pressure. Since you do see it leaking, how low is the level? Low level will cause a low pressure reading at low RPM.

Oil filters do not come loose on their own. If it is leaking from not being tight, it wasn't tight enough to begin with. My guess would be this is a low, very low, chance of probability to be the issue (not impossible, though).

Pretty sure on the '02, the pressure switch is right near the filter. As stated earlier, this is likely the cause of the drips and issue with the codes.

Good luck!

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online