Couple issues... Liftgate latch & tire noise!

AC75TB07

Original poster
Aug 17, 2019
Canada
Hi,

I have a couple different questions so I figured it best to put them in one single post.

First, my rear liftgate doesn't always latch. I will replace it sooner or later, but sometimes the chime/ding notification randomly sounds and has become quite annoying. Is there a way to ditch the latch chime? I know there are 2 plugs in the latch, will disconnecting either silence the dinging? Also, does anyone know what size torx bit is required to remove the latch? Is it t30? I have to purchase the proper size bit or driver before I can replace the entire latch assembly.

Secondly, I have a sorta humming tire sound from the front. Seems to be there at all speeds and doesn't really change when turning or anything. Just like the front tires seem overly loud like driving on rough pavements. I know the tires are slightly out of line and were recently rotated at my garage, but this is quite loud when on the road. There is no real feeling of grinding or roughness like a bearing typically feels, so just curious what everyone thinks?

Thanks!

2007 Trailblazer

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
Welcome to GMTNATION!

That latch only takes about 30 minutes to replace. I would grab one from a local junkyard. Try to find one that's not too rusty, since I see you're in Canada. That should take care of the latching and the chiming. It would probably only cost you about $15 or so. I'm not sure about the size of those bolts. You could just get a cheap set that should include it. I bought a set from harbor freight for like $10 and the right one was in there.

What kind of tires do you have on your vehicle? What shape are your tires in, how many miles do you have on them, and are they weathered? Does the noise start as soon as you move the vehicle or at a certain speed?

Could you get us a video or audio of the noise? If you jack one of the front wheels off of the ground and spin it, does it still make that noise?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Front hum could be a front wheel hub. Has the differential oil been checked or replaced? Also check the front axles going into the diff and disconnect.

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
watch out for the "drone".... :smile: my experience is that its likely a hub going. I removed the tire, then lifted the caliper to ensure the brakes weren't involved. Put a couple nuts to hold the disc on tight and then "lightly" turn the disc / wheel and listened closely... could hear noise as oppose to a "nice smooth bearing" action. Prior to doing this type of investigation, I did various at speed turns and both direction and couldn't discern which side was the issue.

AC75TB07

Original poster
Aug 17, 2019
Canada
Hi,

OK, I took the truck out today to check some of the things suggested. The tires are not new, but not terrible, Ironman all seasons. The noise really starts when I hit 30-40km/h or so. Quiet when going really slow. And there seems to be no difference whatsoever when turning left or right. Just drones on no matter what direction.

I don't know anything about diff fluid or the like. I've only owned this truck a few months but it passed inspection fine three months ago when I bought it. 153,000km. All new brakes just a few months previous as well.

The only thing out of the ordinary that I noticed was that just today the StabiliTrak light came on along with the StabiliTrak service light. After a restart both went out and StabiliTrak worked as normal both on and off via the shifter button without triggering the service light. Not sure if that means anything or not but I felt it was worth mentioning.

EDIT: forgot to mention that there WAS a slight squeak squeak squeak at low speeds a few weeks back before the louder droning sound started. Just heard it a few times and didn't think much of it. Could that have been a hub sound?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The Stabilitrak light is likely for the Steering Wheel Position Sensor. Typical intermittent issue with them. A high end scanner can read the codes to confirm.

Reactions: Maverick6587

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
I would run a scanner and see if those codes are still pending. We might have a better idea of what the issue is.

Also run a VIN check it take it to a dealer and see if the did differential (front and rear) and transfer case fluids have been changed, at least at the dealer. If not I would change all of those fluids to be safe.

Did you get a chance to Jack up the front end and spin the wheels? That would be high on my list for troubleshooting.

AC75TB07

Original poster
Aug 17, 2019
Canada
I will likely just end up taking it in to the garage and have it checked as I have no real place or equipment to do much of anything and no time during the day.

A quick followup question, I've read on a few other posts that there is a sensor within the hub assembly that can trigger the StabiliTrak error code? A Wheel Speed Sensor? Since I do suspect the hub is bad and have only got the StabiliTrak error since that noise began, wouldn't it more likely be that sensor rather than the Steering Position sensor? Just a thought...

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
A local parts store should have a scanner and they'll scan it for you, for free. At least here in the states they do.

Yes, the wheel speed sensor will give you a StabiliTrak error and it is inside the wheel bearing. I'm not sure about the steering position sensor and the errors it would give.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If you get a a Stabilitrak light AND ABS light at the exact same time, it is likely a problem in the ABS system, like a wheel sensor or an issue with the ABS system itself. Stabilitrak uses the ABS system to apply brakes to a wheel or wheels as needed to right a skidding vehicle. That's why if ABS isn't working, Stabilitrak is also not working and will tell you that both systems are out.

If you get ONLY a Stabilitrak light, it is likely an issue with the SWPS (Steering Wheel Position Sensor) as this is the only component used only by Stabilitrak. ABS would still be functional.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online

No members online now.