Couple drivetrain and suspension questions

07_Envoy

Original poster
May 1, 2012
Hey guys as usual I got the 2 common problems of the envoy. The first is the dreaded air bag leak. Originally my truck would only hit the bump stops every other week then it went to every night it was cold then every night now every couple hours. I know there are a couple options but I want to get some opinions. The first is I guess there are two options for air bags from arnott I think it is. How do these stand up over time and quality wise? My next question is if I go with the springs do I need to get mounts for the top or do they just slide Ito place of the coils and that's it. My next major problem is my rear end. The g 80 is cooked and locked solid. I do not care so much now but in the winter months this will get pretty dangerous and it drags around corners and makes the vehicle jerk and chatter. So I know there is a true trac or I have found and axle out. 2006 tb ext it is going to cost about the same either way which do you think is a better option this is just a daily driver not trail rig or real heavy tow rig

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Yes the coils do replace the bags. No mounts. J ham had a g80 fo sale pm him. .

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I would just throw in a new junkyard axle. A locked up G80 may have been an abused G80 and your gear set, bearings and seals might be ready to fail from low or contaminated gear oil.

07_Envoy

Original poster
May 1, 2012
the roadie said:
I would just throw in a new junkyard axle. A locked up G80 may have been an abused G80 and your gear set, bearings and seals might be ready to fail from low or contaminated gear oil.

Well the g80 was fine till my truck was stolen and now I have it back it's gone bad. I have already changed the fluid once because it was black aka burnt but it's still locking. Now are the ext's all 8.6 rear ends even if it has the 4.2 and not the 5.3? Also roadie is see you are running air lift 1000 can these be hooked up to the stock air ride compressor if a load is put on and compresses the rear suspension they will kick on or do they require a separate compressor completely?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
07_Envoy said:
Now are the ext's all 8.6 rear ends even if it has the 4.2 and not the 5.3?
Yes.
Also roadie is see you are running air lift 1000 can these be hooked up to the stock air ride compressor if a load is put on and compresses the rear suspension they will kick on or do they require a separate compressor completely?
If you use the stock compressor, you'll have to build your own controls and rip out the existing sensor package and wire and plumb it all up yourself. For me, it was easier to just buy the Airlift-specific unit. It also comes with the 5 PSI minimum pressure switch and an essential gauge.

07_Envoy

Original poster
May 1, 2012
Hey is there any chance you have write up on the install or part numbers for everything you have used and needed

07_Envoy

Original poster
May 1, 2012
hey thanks for those numbers. my final questions is there any better rear spring then the other. oem, moog, bilstiens, strutmaster etc and my final question is with the rear end out of the ext are the calipers and rotors the same size as the ones on my 8.0 rear end?

07_Envoy

Original poster
May 1, 2012
My mission is to have a vehicle that doesn't drop to the bump stops and set off my alarm. I want something that is fairly smooth riding and can take a little to weight as I do pull a sea doo and sometimes snowmobile trailer in the winter. What I mean by better quailty I know springs mave a operating range. They have so many compression cycles before they are toast I don't want to buy a set of springs for them only to be shot in a year or 2

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I am certain nobody's done a scientific long-term comparison using different brands of springs, like Consumer Reports might do. Costs money and time, and most folks just want to solve a problem quickly and move on. I killed my OEM springs in a year of hard offroading and started recommending the Z71 Tahoe/Avalanche upgrade. They're progressive rate, which the OEM are not. But they're stiffer, so for the same free length, they give an effective 1.5" lift at no load, which will give you a rake that some folks find objectionable (not me). For adjustability when you have intermittent heavy cargo loads or tongue weight, Airlift1000 bags are the cure.

After about 3 years (maybe 4?), I've squished my first set of Z71's and have to swap in my spare pair.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online