could it be? Confirmed! 2014 Chevrolet SS Rear-Drive Performance Sedan

MDBT

Jan 26, 2012
It's just the police issue Caprice with the V8 in it. I think they're rated at around 365hp in police tune but wouldn't be surprised to see more for a road version. NASCAR will use this body for their cars as well.

rmsg0040

Original poster
Dec 10, 2011
I believe if I read the article correctly that this will be a public car slated for 2013

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
MDBT said:
It's just the police issue Caprice with the V8 in it. I think they're rated at around 365hp in police tune but wouldn't be surprised to see more for a road version. NASCAR will use this body for their cars as well.

Well...sorta. The police version is supposed to be on the longer wheelbase Zeta platform vs what the production car will be (according to this and another few articles Ive read on it).

365hp is pretty low, Id imagine GM will put at least the LS3 into it (if not the new Gen V direct injected small block) with ~420hp. Thats what the base Vette with the LS3 puts out.

Im excited to see a high hp RWD Chevy badged sedan again!

MDBT

Jan 26, 2012
rmsg0040 said:
I believe if I read the article correctly that this will be a public car slated for 2013

Yes, the previously police only Caprice will now be available to the public.

ScarabEpic22 said:
Well...sorta. The police version is supposed to be on the longer wheelbase Zeta platform vs what the production car will be (according to this and another few articles Ive read on it).

365hp is pretty low, Id imagine GM will put at least the LS3 into it (if not the new Gen V direct injected small block) with ~420hp. Thats what the base Vette with the LS3 puts out.

Im excited to see a high hp RWD Chevy badged sedan again!

All of these cars (Pontiac G8, New SS, Caprice PPV, Camaro) are tweaked versions of the Zeta platform originally built for the Holden Commodore. It will not be an Impala SS and a G8 sized car would be all over the new Impala's territory so it is my belief that we are more likely to see something closer to the Caprice in length. After GM spent all that money to get the Caprice ready for police duty I imagine they'll be trying to put it to good use in the consumer market. Not unrealistic that they may chop a couple inches off the huge overhangs of the PPV model though. The engine will probably be the same 6.2L LS3 from the G8 GXP but in the L99 400-420hp DOD trim from the current camaro though I have heard some whispers about an LSA.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Sounds cool but I'm still on the camaro....until true holdens can be bought over here MY DREAM!!

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
And the G8 still looks better than all of them!

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
SS Commodore FTW. See, us Aussies can do good things when we're not drunk! :rotfl:

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
this is welcome news after hearing their plans for the 2014 impala, which isn't my cup of tea but i understand the rationale from a business POV

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
rmsg0040 said:
I just wonder if it will be auto or stick

Both. Manual 6 speed, auto 6 speed with active select (triptonic type gearbox).

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShowMeStL

Members Online