Corvette PWM Fans?

limequat

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
IMHO the best fan option for GMT360s is the stock mechanical unit from 2008-2009. That said, some of us are masochists, or have swaps, or other mitigating circumstances.

It just occurred to me that the P10 PCM from MY 2002-2005 could probably drive a corvette PWM Fan control module. The stock output is a low current PWM. Run that to the Corvette controller and Bob's your uncle? I'll contribute free tuning to the first couple of sadists who want to try it.

• Haha
Reactions: Matt and Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Too bad my 07 doesn't qualify as I would definitely look into this, NOT! :crackup:

Having drunk that koolaid a long time ago, I got off that bandwagon however may be an option for those masochists. What years of Vettes are the fans from? Would the size fit?

I have an 08 Avalanche with stock e-fans that has heating issues while towing and actually thinking of retrofitting an earlier mechanical fan! It's a 6.0L with 4.10 gears so I don't really care about MPG.

Reactions: limequat

limequat

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
LOL, good man!
I believe it's the C6 fans that would work. No idea on size, I was thinking more about the electronics. I think the controller could feasibly work with any electric fan?

Reactions: Mooseman

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
When I tried a single 16" Spal fan, it was barely able to maintain temps at idle, and could never cool my EXT down at all. Maybe a pair of 12" staggered fans would do a little better? Couldn't find a dual fan shroud I could make work (at that time) so I ended up using a PCM of NC shroud with the single fan instead.

Reactions: limequat

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And does (did) that keep it cool?

No

Because of the undersized radiator, any fan has to pull a lot of air across the whole radiator, equivalent to the turbofan it's originally equipped with, which will never happen with an electric.

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
The standard arrangement is a pair of fans that cover the whole width of the radiator. Ford also has PWM controlled fans that would work. Installing a hall effect sensor on one of the fans should eliminate the CEL .
I like limequat's challenge. I'm tempted....
It would be nice to take that heavy clutch off the waterpump.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If all else is the same, PWM won't do squat to increase air flow from any electric. And A/C performance really suffers when standing still. This would be useful to someone swapping an 02-05 engine/PCM into something else with a bigger radiator. I have seen on eBay an aluminum radiator for GMT360's that could help with engine temps but won't help for A/C.

In my 02, I had a pair of Montana fans that pulled a lot of air that were controlled by an independent controller that would kick them in low and high speeds. Even when I had them manually on high, A/C performance was poor. And anytime the temps got higher than 30c (85f), they had a hard time keeping temps down. When it got to 35c (95f), even when moving they weren't enough to keep the temps down. Went back to a clutch fan, all problems gone.

Because of these trucks' size compared to their full size brethren, the engineers were limited to how wide and tall of a radiator and condenser they could stuff in the front end so they had to compensate with a big mechanical fan.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online