Cooper discoverer atp

Me007gold

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Any one have any experience with these tires, its just about time for some new rubber, I am looking at these
34313d1322094988-experience-thoughts-cooper-discover-atp-cooper-discoverer-atp.jpg

[ebay]190629356500[/ebay]

Me007gold

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Know lots of people that really like the Cooper line of tires. Those look pretty good for the price. I woulda had my dad get them instead of AT3 he got for the savings.

jbones

Dec 5, 2011

Me007gold

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
jbones said:
The rolling resistance looks much better on the AT3 though. Maybe they discontinued the ATP, or it’s one of those made for and sold exclusively at Discount Tire things?

Thats what I am thinking(either that or they are brand new), I sent an email to Cooper, I am just waiting for a reply.

jbones

Dec 5, 2011
There's a Cooper tire dealer not too far from my house, I should stop in one day and look.

Another thing I don't like about the Cooper Tire site is they don't give the tires weight. I can assume the ATP is a fairly heavy tire based on it being more of an off road tire.

If this helps here’s Consumers Reports Nov 2011 top 5 AT Tire. I’ve never seen Cooper tires rated on TireRack.com, would be nice if they did.

Cooper Discover AT3
Michelin AT2
Hankook Dynapro ATM
Kumho Road Venture AT KL78
Kumho Road Venture SAT KL61

jbones

Dec 5, 2011
Me007gold said:
Thats what I am thinking(either that or they are brand new), I sent an email to Cooper, I am just waiting for a reply.

I just called the Cooper tire dealer by my house, the ATP is a made for, and sold at Discount Tire only thing.

Me007gold

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
jbones said:
There's a Cooper tire dealer not too far from my house, I should stop in one day and look.

Another thing I don't like about the Cooper Tire site is they don't give the tires weight. I can assume the ATP is a fairly heavy tire based on it being more of an off road tire.

If this helps here’s Consumers Reports Nov 2011 top 5 AT Tire. I’ve never seen Cooper tires rated on TireRack.com, would be nice if they did.

Cooper Discover AT3
Michelin AT2
Hankook Dynapro ATM
Kumho Road Venture AT KL78
Kumho Road Venture SAT KL61

jbones said:
I just called the Cooper tire dealer by my house, the ATP is a made for, and sold at Discount Tire only thing.

Thanks! Thats what I figured. The Dynopros are only a few more $$ per tire The tread is almost identical. I may have to swing by discount tire tomorrow and actually talk to some one. Do i need to get the LT tire or is the regular tire good enough?

jbones

Dec 5, 2011
Me007gold said:
Thanks! Thats what I figured. The Dynopros are only a few more $$ per tire The tread is almost identical. I may have to swing by discount tire tomorrow and actually talk to some one. Do i need to get the LT tire or is the regular tire good enough?

LT is a stiffer sidewall for off road and heavy loads. The regular is good for normal driving and some light OR duties, and better on gas. So, LT or not is going to depend on your use.

Me007gold

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
bigytwotone said:
if you are going to be towing or hauling lots of weight you need LT if you are doing no towing you can get Prated tires i would get LT's to be safe

The only thing i haul around is my fat ass, lol. The more I think about it, the treadwrights seem more and more appealing. 5 Tires shipped to my door is $670, which is basicly what I would pay for 4 of the coopers or hankook's after tax and such.

bigytwotone

Dec 7, 2011
Dawson creek BC Canada
i would do the 5 tires and replace the spare even thow it dose not get used it still deteriorates my spare was just replace because i used it and the old tire was cracked and almost had a hole worn threw it so new tire it was.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
bigytwotone said:
i would do the 5 tires and replace the spare even thow it dose not get used it still deteriorates
The truck is only 5 years old, the spare would not be in bad shape (IMO), I never buy a new tire for the spare, if the spare is worn, I just use the best of the 4 I'm replacing. Just my :twocents:

Me007gold

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
RayVoy said:
The truck is only 5 years old, the spare would not be in bad shape (IMO), I never buy a new tire for the spare, if the spare is worn, I just use the best of the 4 I'm replacing. Just my :twocents:

I dont have the factory spare any ways. I have a old tire that I got off of Craigslist in hatch now, Its in bad shape, but will get me where I need in a pinch. Cant use the factory spare because of the wheel spacers, and I would much rather a full size spare that I can add in to the tire roation, roation.

rcam81

Dec 3, 2011
Onsted, MI
I am on the second winter with a set of Cooper CTS tires. They handle great and the ride is smooth.

gmctodd

Jan 8, 2012
I have the Hankook Dynapro's on the Envoy (245/65R17) about 9k miles and the Cooper AT3's on the truck (LT235/85R16) about 2k miles. The Cooper's are much quiter IMO. The Hankooks went on last spring and winter traction was great but I notice an oversteer condition. In the little snow we had this year so far the coopers have been great too. If I was buying another set tomorrow it would be the Coopers, because they are MADE IN THE USA. Give us your opinion after you have some miles on your new ATM's

rwebdaddy

Feb 22, 2012
Has anyone actually installed and had it fit the cooper discoverer at3's 265/65/17 on stock wheels without wheel spacers on an Envoy or trailblazer? I hear that size will fit but tire sizes all differ on brands. I already ordered them and I'm putn on a 2.5 front and 1inch rear suspensionmaxx leveling kit. I hope they fit. I don't want wheel spacers.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
rwebdaddy said:
Has anyone actually installed and had it fit the cooper discoverer at3's 265/65/17 on stock wheels without wheel spacers on an Envoy or trailblazer? I hear that size will fit but tire sizes all differ on brands. I already ordered them and I'm putn on a 2.5 front and 1inch rear suspensionmaxx leveling kit. I hope they fit. I don't want wheel spacers.
Yes they will fit

rwebdaddy

Feb 22, 2012
Ok cool thanks thumper. As for the quality of cooper tires (atr) I have:thumbsup: them on 2 other of my vehicles now and that are awesome. I know I have like 50 thou on my suburban and still plenty of tread left.

rwebdaddy

Feb 22, 2012
Well got the leveling kit on and put the Cooper Discoverer AT3's 265/65/17 on and the fit very nicely. What a difference in appearance.:wootwoot:

fj4072

Jun 1, 2012
I love these tires, American Made pretty good rockcrawling tires, and very good highway ride. My ATP's were bought from a Cooper dealer locally 2 years ago. Previously, I've been through 2 sets of Toyo's ("top of the line" Crap Tires) didn't last long. Totalled my 03' TB recently and got the new AT3's put on my new/used 06', so far so good, haven't wheeled in them yet though.

jonbo2002

Sep 27, 2012
jbones said:
LT is a stiffer sidewall for off road and heavy loads. The regular is good for normal driving and some light OR duties, and better on gas. So, LT or not is going to depend on your use.

does anybody know the load rating differences between the regular and the LT I usually haul only about 1000lbs with my trailer once a month, just towing the atv's up north, but there will be times I will have 2000-3000lbs when building my cabin up there. I would just like to see the actual load rating numbers and can't seem to find them online.

thanks!

Ed H

Oct 18, 2012
Anyone care to weigh in on Copper Discovery HTP? There are rated 8.8 at Discount Tire website, but seem too inexpensive ($117 per tire, $595 out the door) to be any good...

Tire Details - Discount Tire

I tow an 18' bass boat regularly..

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online