NEED HELP Cooling system & leaking radiators

dna59

Original poster
Nov 20, 2015
Belize
Ok guys I need some insight. Earlier in the year my radiator that I had in for 2 years began leaking. It was a cheap eBay type radiator so didn't find anything strange about it leaking. Replaced it with a brand new TYC radiator and about a month later that began leaking. After that I replaced the thermostat, radiator cap, water pump and had the radiator fixed. Now today...which is about two months later the repaired radiator starts leaking again. Should I be worried or just chalk it up to a crappy repair job this time on the radiator? Last week I took a road trip through the hills and it never overheated or anything. I drive quite a bit and never has the vehicle gone over 200-210 degrees. Should I been looking for something and if so what? I really don't wanna sell this truck as I love it but it's just been stressing me out since the beginning of the year with various unrelated issues. Thanks in advance guys.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Although I have bought cheap rads before (Prime Choice, also available on eBay), I have been lucky and never had any problems. In fact, I kept that replacement one from my scrapped '02 in case my '07 ever needs it.

Where were they leaking? Were the tanks cracked?

Maybe it's just bad luck. It happens.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Right in the middle of the fins? That's odd. They usually leak either from a cracked tank or at the crimp/seal between the tank and fins unless it was damaged. Are there a lot of dirt roads?

dna59

Original poster
Nov 20, 2015
Belize
Right in the middle of the fins? That's odd. They usually leak either from a cracked tank or at the crimp/seal between the tank and fins unless it was damaged. Are there a lot of dirt roads?
You know oddly enough in my lifetime I've never had a radiator leak at the tanks. I do travel dirt roads but not that much. I wondered the same thing about maybe rocks getting up in there, but looking at the areas damaged that would have to be one determined rock.

limequat

Dec 8, 2011
Any chance that the mounting points are putting mechanical stress on the fins? Maybe it was in an accident and it's not quite straight?

The only times I've had radiator problems (and believe me, I've been through every coolant leak possible) it was 1) broken end tanks or 2) mechanical damage. So this does indeed seem unusual.

Reactions: Mooseman

dna59

Original poster
Nov 20, 2015
Belize
Any chance that the mounting points are putting mechanical stress on the fins? Maybe it was in an accident and it's not quite straight?

The only times I've had radiator problems (and believe me, I've been through every coolant leak possible) it was 1) broken end tanks or 2) mechanical damage. So this does indeed seem unusual.

The way the radiator is mounted is into rubber grommets at the bottom and just has a rubber mount thingy in the middle at the top. So the radiator is allowed to move a little but not much. Could this cause any stress? If so I could always put something between the radiator and rubber mount on the top. I attached pics of the brand new TYC that was bought and failed a mo the later then repaired. It began leaking again from the repair. Currently I have in the first radiator that only had 1 damaged spot and was repaired. I don't mind buying a new radiator but would hate for it to go again as a result of something causing it. Should I try another brand radiator cap? I've tried 3 different Stant caps during this time.

IMG_20181026_054758.jpgIMG_20181026_054749.jpg
IMG_20181026_054803.jpg

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Repairs in the fins is iffy at best. If it leaked within a month, I would have returned it but I can imagine shipping is not cheap for you.

dna59

Original poster
Nov 20, 2015
Belize
@Mooseman I bought it locally but here in Belize returns for something like that is not possible. Buying stuff here is sucky because of things like that and even if it was possible they would have found an excuse not to honor.

16vcabman

May 10, 2018
Ortonville, Mi
Wow what a mess. Have you been had by someone else? Like a stick was pushed into it. By the way here in the US tyc is considered inexpensive aftermarket crash part. Not bad but not as good as others. I wish you better luck. Do you have anyone over here that could ship you one?

dna59

Original poster
Nov 20, 2015
Belize
Wow what a mess. Have you been had by someone else? Like a stick was pushed into it. By the way here in the US tyc is considered inexpensive aftermarket crash part. Not bad but not as good as others. I wish you better luck. Do you have anyone over here that could ship you one?

Getting one is not the problem. Trying to rule out any issues elsewhere or if it just bad luck before I spend on another one. What would be a good one to buy? I was looking at AC Delco ones but idk if there is something comparable.

shovenose

Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
Radiators are neither shipped well nor handled well during that process. You don't wanna know how radiators get treated by the warehouse at the parts store I work at. Heavy stuff is thrown on top all the time! Yet the amount of warranty failures are VERY low so they are pretty darn tough. Just making a point that even a quality radiator could get damaged during shipping or installation.

16vcabman

May 10, 2018
Ortonville, Mi
I used a Denso radiator in mine when it went. I have not had any problem. Rock Auto shows the TYC as an economy part. I really hope you have better luck.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScannerHeath

Members Online