Coolant Recovery Tank Mystery

Ric_Whit

Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
Hi all.

I want to share something strange here for me. 2002 Trailblzer
Yes I know I know the coolant suppose to be DEXCOOL but I flush and clean the cooling system properly.

When I was chasing my tail to figure out the cooling fan clutch I realize the coolant recovery tank is leaking.
I take the tank out to inspect and pressure test if it has a crack or something but no hole and no crack.
For my surprise I notice that the coolant is seeping thru the mounting taps of the tanks.

Furthermore I can see coolant almost in all the taps and corner of the tank.
I mean in the wall of the tank like it bleeding thru.

Has anyone experience this???

See the picture below.

Edite: This a DORMAN 603126 buy from RockAuto in 10/03/2013
1.jpg

2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You said Dorman, right? Case closed. Go to a pull-it yard and get a used one. Unless damaged, they never leak.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
You said Dorman, right? Case closed. Go to a pull-it yard and get a used one. Unless damaged, they never leak.

Funny you said this about Dorman - I thought about a similar response myself.
#GreatMindsThinkAlike :iagree:

Reactions: Tiggerr

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I have a couple of Dorman products on my Envoy myself - one of them being the transmission fluid pan, as it's easier to get the drain bolt off of that one, than it is the stocker (which I had to finally use a bolt extractor to remove). But as you'll read through posts, if the part needs to move current, fluid, or the vehicle itself, there are generally better options available than Dorman - if you don't want to be repeating the repair sooner than you normally would (if ever).

One look at the OP's pics show you that Dorman's source for this particular part apparently has issues keeping seams sealed on the part, which kind of defeats the purpose of a liquid-based 'reservoir' :duh:

Since the effects of low / no coolant can be catastrophic to an engine, :puke:I appreciate that the OP made the posting (although I would personally use Dexcool or equivalent, but at least he's trying to maintain the vehicle by replacing the coolant on a regular basis.)

Luck of the draw, I guess, in that the previous poster has had good results with Dorman, and I'm glad that he has. But I think most readers here are looking for 'what works' (or what "doesn't"), and certain of Dorman's offerings (for the GMT platform, at least), have repeatedly proven to be a less-than-optimal solution / fix.

Don't get me wrong - at this point, I'm thankful that parts are still available for the GMT360 / 370 platform - as an example, you can't get a 'complete' front disconnect assy for our trucks from GM / ACDelco any longer, from what I see online. And yet we know that the OEM unit *will* fail at some point due to insufficient lubrication (and possibly misuse.) Not to mention that many casings will break as people try to R&R them.

Since automakers are supposed to have 10 years of parts available after they cease manufacturing a model, I wonder how GM is allowed to discontinue the assembly, if the last MY for the GMT360 was 2009? But I digress.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I think the 10 year thing is a myth. The aftermarket usually picks up where the OEMs fail or drop off.

That being said, Dorman are sketchy for anything electrical or mechanical. Hard parts are usually pretty good. I did try their cam phaser as the OEM rebuilt one is too expensive. So far so good.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Dorman Schmorman nobody makes their own stuff anymore, everything seems to be rebadged (like our 360s).
I just paid extra for a genuine AC Delco thermostat (because for some reason I think that their stuff is better) Take out of the pretty box and it's stamped MOTORAD ? I could have bought a MOTORAD for half the price of the AC :weird:

Reactions: Redbeard

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I think it was probably switched at some point, probably by some scumbag that bought both and switched them. It's quite probable that ACDelco gets its stuff built by others but would not be so sloppy to leave the "other" name on their parts and not very likely Motorad.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
The 10 year thing is actually true, but there are certain things that make it so they don't have to make the exact part. Part superceded by a better or different revision. But in the GMT 360 case, it was GM's bankruptcy. I think when that happens it goes from 10 years to 4.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
I think it was probably switched at some point, probably by some scumbag that bought both and switched them. It's quite probable that ACDelco gets its stuff built by others but would not be so sloppy to leave the "other" name on their parts and not very likely Motorad.
You got me thinking so I Googled my stat # and got this Amazon review(there were several) here is one of them:

"Like the review before me, this item does have "MotoRad" imprinted onto it (Not to be confused with BMW's MotorRad company). Here is MotoRad's website for further information: [...] I'm not sure that this is necessarily a BAD thing that the thermostat is made by MotoRad (and sold by ACDelco), as the company appears to have been in business a long time and ACDelco is a trusted seller/supplier."

Last edited:

shovenose

Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
Yup I've bought many different brands of thermostats... ACDelco, Murray (O'Reilly house brand that I think is owned by SMP [standard motor products] but don't quote me on that) and so it seems MotoRad is a fine choice.

As for Dorman, I like their transmission pans with drain plugs, so not all of their products suck, but generally subpar quality/reliability and not great fit/finish.

Ric_Whit

Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
Well guys I take Mooseman advice and last month I buy a used one in good condition.
Let see how long this used one will hold.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Hopefully is fine. My OEM one on my old 02 never leaked or did anything weird.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR