Coolant Leak

wstuckey1

I have coolant leaking relatively badly from my EXT. I know it's related to the rear heater core because I had coolant dripping from the back right corner, but that leak has kind of gone away and now its leaking under the front passenger door, and in the cab. I don't know how it's getting in the cab but I noticed after my dune trip when the sand that was on the carpet absorbed a bunch of coolant. I pulled the passenger rubber floor mat and the carpet was soaking wet with coolant. It's somewhat spread around the first two rows of seating but the worst spot in the cab is the passenger footwell. I need to get this fixed soon so if anyone can tell me how to block off the flow of coolant in the engine bay before it goes past the firewall I would be super happy. I don't know if it's possible to remove the rear heat but keep the A/C, but that would be ideal for me. I saw someone on another thread mention it but he didn't know if it was possible either.

TollKeeper

It is possible. On the front side of your firewall, the 2 coolant lines will have a T before they go into the firewall, if you pull the lines off before that T on both lines, and feed them into each other, you will have taken out the rear and front heater cores.

One of those lines might have a coolant diverter valve instead of the T's. You want to take the feed line, and return lines off, and combine them.

This is what you can combine them with (I think its a 3/8 inch hose, cant remember for sure)
https://www.zoro.com/zoro-select-hose-mender-38-in-barb-brass-6afh5/i/G0609375/feature-product?gclid=Cj0KCQjwwODlBRDuARIsAMy_28W7ZC6xsPmGhrEMYrisOPe3LPDuYe3yDwcaR1chPLOJZsEeysNY4-caAn3REALw_wcB

OP
OP
wstuckey1

wstuckey1

TollKeeper

Correct.

OP
OP
wstuckey1

wstuckey1

I want to keep the front heat. I don't care about the rear heat. Easily 90 percent of my driving is just me in the truck, but I live in Michigan, can't do without heat in the front.

Mooseman

This thread should help:

If you want to bypass that whole valve and rear heater core, you'll have to make the hose routing like the shorties, like the image from this post on the old site:

You might be able to cobble the existing hoses to work.

TollKeeper

If your floor is soaked, I would think that the front heater core is also toast. Am I wrong in this?

Blckshdw

If your floor is soaked, I would think that the front heater core is also toast. Am I wrong in this?
I was thinking this too. Or at least one of those connections at the firewall, is leaking. The actual rear core, is in the cargo area.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Supporter
Prolly been leaking coolant for awhile out of that front core. I'd be surprised if temp gauge didn't register it (I see you have the I6, so the reading is 'relative')

I have some info saved that Paul Bell gave yrs ago on the TBSS parts needed to block off the rear core at the firewall end, but I don't think it'll help you since it's really for V8s (PM me if you want it anyway)

If your wetness doesn't go past front of the second row, it's prolly frt core only. The rear one is behind 2nd row, psgr side. But do the rear removal too, once the blockoff has been effected.

OP
OP
wstuckey1

wstuckey1

Prolly been leaking coolant for awhile out of that front core. I'd be surprised if temp gauge didn't register it (I see you have the I6, so the reading is 'relative')

I have some info saved that Paul Bell gave yrs ago on the TBSS parts needed to block off the rear core at the firewall end, but I don't think it'll help you since it's really for V8s (PM me if you want it anyway)

If your wetness doesn't go past front of the second row, it's prolly frt core only. The rear one is behind 2nd row, psgr side. But do the rear removal too, once the blockoff has been effected.
I'm thinking now that it's both cores.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Answered questions
Members
Latest member
GeneralLee01
Top Bottom