Coolant Leak

wstuckey1

Original poster
Apr 11, 2018
Fenton MI
Some of you may have seen my previous complaining about overheating/losing coolant. I was worried that it was possibly a head gasket because I was starting to lose more and more . After some thinking and not smelling or seeing the coolant coming out of the exhaust I'm thinking it might be my heater core(s), especially because when I have the rear AC running the whole cab smells badly of coolant. Well this morning I started it before work and let it run for ten minutes and when I left I saw two small puddles where I was parked. I looked at them and they looked like dexcool. One puddle came from the rear right corner and the other seemed to be pretty close to central. My question is, is that where the heater cores are and does that sound like a good diagnosis? If so, what would be my options for fixing it?

Last edited:

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Because you have the EXT, it sounds like the rear one is the issue, which is pretty common for it to go. IIRC there's a number of topics about it in the forum, from fixing it to plugging it.

wstuckey1

Original poster
Apr 11, 2018
Fenton MI
Because you have the EXT, it sounds like the rear one is the issue, which is pretty common for it to go. IIRC there's a number of topics about it in the forum, from fixing it to plugging it.
Ok. I’ll do some researching. Thank you

Reactions: Matt

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, your rear leak is likely the rear heater core or hose. You front leak could be a couple of things but the one likely suspect is the rear core diverter valve. A search will yield a few discussions about it, like @Matt said. I'd recommend plugging it. Mine never worked and didn't miss it even in this cold climate.

Reactions: Matt and wstuckey1

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86