Coolant leak

JoeT

Original poster
Mar 2, 2019
Maine
I have an 04 envoy xl that i just bought, took it out for the first trip and it overheated on me, got it home and found coolant leaking from just above the frame on the back drivers side wheel. Im assuming this goes to the the third row heat. Is this a solid one piece line from the motor all the way back? I cant find any splices in it, im assuming that buying this would be a dealer part? I'll probably change the thermostat as well since i have no idea when it was changed last, just unnearving when it heated up like that on my maiden voyage lol. Kids love the space and it rides amazing so i want to make sure i fix it up right.

Jan 10, 2018
Michigan
I'm not sure about the lines. Looking at some old Trailvoy posts when they had problems they cut off the line near the leak, placed a connector in the line, clamped, then clamped on another line to connect it to the rear heater core. Could be worth looking into. if you don't care so much about the rear heat you could always clamp in a u bend tube and completely ignore the rear heater core..

Also those rear lines are 5/8", you can pick up the tubing from pretty much anywhere and cut it to size, then install.

JoeT

Original poster
Mar 2, 2019
Maine
Thats exactly what i ended up doing, its working great and a lot cheaper. Thank you

Dreccomel

May 14, 2016
NY
I change the water pump last year and one of the bolts broke on me, I didn't had a replacement so I waited for a bout a week for the ACDelco bolts. I look at the bolts and they all look the same to me but when I replaced them, the same location that broke again... :Banghead: when I was attempting to torque it. :uhno: I had to put back one of the old bolts back but did not torque it because I was afraid it would brake again. Anyway, I got a substantial leak and I know I have to go back in to change to bolts. Does anyone knows where I can get bolts other than ACDelco, because I don't want to pay $7xbolt again.

Jan 10, 2018
Michigan
You can try a scrap yard but you might get crap. Idk where you live but here in michigan we have Fastenal and you can explain or bring in the bolt you need and they can order them fairly cheap. To be fair you can probably go online and ask them

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yep, I'd also get graded bolts but you should take the whole pump off and reseal. I'd use RTV rather than a gasket. That's what's used on the inside of the timing chain cover for the pump cavity. If that's good enough for inside the cover, it's good enough for the outer pump.

Dreccomel

May 14, 2016
NY
You can try a scrap yard but you might get crap. Idk where you live but here in michigan we have Fastenal and you can explain or bring in the bolt you need and they can order them fairly cheap. To be fair you can probably go online and ask them
Thanks... I Google it and found a Fastenal near and was able to get the bolts I needed. :2thumbsup:

Dreccomel

May 14, 2016
NY
Yep, I'd also get graded bolts but you should take the whole pump off and reseal. I'd use RTV rather than a gasket. That's what's used on the inside of the timing chain cover for the pump cavity. If that's good enough for inside the cover, it's good enough for the outer pump.
Great idea thanks... 🆗

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online