NEED HELP Coolant leak

htseat2000

Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
I noticed last week a big puddle underneath the envoy. looked unerneath and it seems to be coming from the access plate that you remove to change the oil. so I took that off, and couldn't really see where it is coming from, so i put it back on. noticed another big puddle yesterday, so i took the plate of again, and put the suv up on ramps and ran it for 10 minutes with plate off to see if I could see where the leak is coming from. it didn't leak a drop. this baffles me, so we drove it around some, and when i got back home after two different errands, no leaks. i come out this morning, and i see it dripping from underneath. i am bafflled at where it is leaking from. currently have 186,000 miles on it, and only engine work i have done to it since buying it in 2012 with 100K miles is new fan belt, and spark plugs.

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
There are a lot of possible leak points that would allow the fluid to drain down to the cover plate. The intermittent nature of the accumulation might be more a matter of it building up somewhere else and then draining rather than it leaking then not leaking. That plate is in a great spot to get drain down from leaks in the pump, thermostat housing, temperature sensor, lower hose connection just to name a few. You might need to get some UV dye and a cheap UV lamp to try to narrow down the source.

I had a broken oring on my cap that created a tiny leak under pressure. It took awhile to figure that one out since it was small enough to evaporate off once everything got hot. It even kept pressure up, so I never saw an impact on running temps. You might be fighting a similar item, where it doesn't seem obvious. It's going to take more investigative work to narrow down your source.
Start by looking for dried out coolant tracks around any of the hose connections. Those are the most likely and less drastic possible failure points.

Good Luck!

Chris

Reactions: Redbeard

htseat2000

Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
I looked at all radiator hose connections and non leaks. i have looked all over with no avail. seems that it is only leaking after it cools off for some reason. i am hoping it is a simple fix like water pump has gone or something. i have looked around water pump area but can't seem to find anything. it almost looks like at one point there is a couple drips on bottom of ac compressor, but it is hard to tell.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Check heater hoses. Mine went bad at the fitting where it connected to the firewall, but would run down and around stuff that made it difficult to trace at first.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
I call water pump. Usually extremely hard to see from top or bottom since the whole pump is hidden behind the pulley.

Try to look on the timing cover, if you see coolant on it around the area under the water pump then bingo.

Most common leaks I've seen in person on them is water pump and radiator.

Reactions: xavierny25

Dr.Fiero

Dec 7, 2017
S. Alberta
There's usually a small temp & pressure spike after shut off.
See if you can borrow a cooling system tester. Pump it up to your caps rating and let it sit. If the pressure drops, you have a leak - and usually it'll now be visible. I second the dye in coolant trick...

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
+1 --==^==-- @Sparky .... Agreed..... Check out the Two Heater Hoses that feed in and out of the Engine Block ...one on the Driver Side that snakes a portion of Aluminum Tube over the back of the mating point of the Engine Block and the Transmission...and the other is 'Shorty" that come straight out of the mid rear passenger side of the Block. These two meet on the Passenger Side of the Firewall and attach to the Heat Exchanger Tubes ... right there on the Passenger Side Firewall.

They are complicated Little Devils made of replaceable with Worm Gear Hose Clamps and New Black Plastic or Nylon that have in-dwelling "O" Rings that can flatten out with normal movements of the engine and hosing ...and leak down along the Firewall and settle the Coolant inside of the protective cover down below. These are easy to find as a Set and they are unique to each hose. There is probably a repair thread around here worth looking at first...with images of what I am trying to describe. A bright flashlight and a wipe rag of those two hosing and connectors will tell you if this is where the Coolant is coming from. :>)

Okay... Found it (I should have remembered THIS one...)

https://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/heater-hose-question.14594/#post-475961

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigboylove