Coolant Gone!

psa55

Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
New Brunwick, Canada
Drove 3km down the road to local ice cream shop. Soon as I pulled in and shut off the truck, my daughter and I jumped out and got in line, right in front of my SUV, just to hear a quick sploosh and watch my dexcool run all over the parking lot. Got her an ice cream, and I proceeded to pop the hood. Came out of the bottom end, on the drivers side. I grabbed a bucket of hot water from the ice cream shop and proceeded to pour it in the rad, just to watch it come right out the bottom of the vehicle.

I could see some drops of coolant on the road for about 20 metres, so it had started to leak just before I pulled in, but it all let go soon as I was stopped.

I just had it towed the 3km home as I couldn't get parts tonight, and I can't work on it tomorrow night. So, it's gonna be a Tuesday evening job. I'm guessing a blown lower hose, which is original, but I won't get a good look until Tuesday night. Does this make sense to everyone else? If so, any preferrable brands?

Lastly, does anyone have a how, video or procedure posted here. I searched, but couldn't find one. From what I've read, I've got a few things to remove to get this lower hose replaced. Gonna do the upper hose which is original as well while all my coolant is gone.

All help and info is very much appreciated!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

psa55

Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
New Brunwick, Canada
Finally got a look Tuesday night... When I did the thermostat a few years ago the clamp broke. So I put on a pipe clamp. It appears the pipe clamp broke and the hose came off the thermostat housing. Simple fix, but since I'd gotten Parts just in case I decided to put a new lower and new upper rad hose in and I replaced the original serpentine belt. I didn't put a second pipe clamp on the hose at the thermostat this time but I think I'm going to work one on just to avoid the potential issue in the future.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online