Coolant and tropical

thebook452

Original poster
May 9, 2021
Philippines
Hi guys, stupid question here ... I was wondering why is there a need to use an antifreeze coolant (as recommended) , yet residing in a tropical country (temperature ranges from 86 to 104 F)

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Hi guys, stupid question here ... I was wondering why is there a need to use an antifreeze coolant (as recommended) , yet residing in a tropical country (temperature ranges from 86 to 104 F)

The proper mix of engine coolant (Dexcool) will provide a higher boiling point than plain water and also contains anti corrosives and other beneficial additives.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Because coolant/antifreeze was developed to work in both extremes of temperatures so no need to develop a hot weather only type of coolant. It just happens to have the benefit of both.

If you are having cooling issues, there may be an issue with the cooling system. We have members here from Saudi Arabia that experience temps in the 40ºC+ range. To help the system, there are additives, like Water Wetter, that reduce surface tension of the water/coolant mix to aid in heat transfer, which can be useful for extreme situations like towing in extreme temperatures. I use this, oddly enough, in my snowmobile to help keep temperatures down.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online