Converting rear suspension to coil spring

smitty5150

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
I really don't see this discussed a lot. I'm curious what springs people have used to keep close to stock stance while converting from air ride. Pretty sure the 9-7x sits lower than a stock tb. I don't want my ass in the air for all to see.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
I think the average person just swaps in some TB/Envoy springs. I also haven't seen this discussed much.

Are the existing springs to soft/weak without the air bags?

smitty5150

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
The 97x has airbags only. However, where I've been parking throws off the settings. I'm considering dumping thd setup to just use springs. I've been reading and it looks like if I get lowering springs for an 07+ tahoe it should bring me to level or close.

Reactions: Capote

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
So the bags aren't housed inside of the springs like on TB's and only has bags? I didn't know that..we don't have many 97x guys here so I haven't seen much about them.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Well dang, I thought the ones with air ride from the factory came with them inside the springs. :duh: Lol, excuse my ignorance fellas.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Wish I knew what springs the previous owner used on mine but he also lifted it. Sits pretty level. One thing I found is that the shocks/struts are stiffer than on my TB EXT with newer Bilsteins.

smitty5150

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
My issue is the saab sits at about stock height for ss. I could throw tb rear coils in but I'd have to level the front which opens a whole new can of worms. Or I throw drop springs in the rear and risk needing to drop the front by way of new springs or trimming a half coil off the stockers.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
If you use stock springs you could always trim them to lower the rear down.

Reactions: Capote

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
If you trim the correct end it won't matter. Don't trim the end that coils inward.

I don't like the idea of trimming stock springs since you shorten the spring without really increasing the spring rate to compensate for less travel. I guess half a coil makes little difference.

24v 4.2

Jan 16, 2013
I have a set of stock springs from my 06 LT. Let me know if you are interested and we can work something out.

Reactions: Denali n DOO

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
If you didn't like the lower springs becuase they were too low you could add a spring spacer. I beleive they are available in different sizes.

mfnman88

Nov 12, 2016
Dundee
Btw. I bought the moog springs for the trailblazer, pn81049. They fit perfect and now the rear sits just over an inch higher than the front.
How are those Moogs holding up. (ride quality, any sag over time, etc.) I just bought an 08' with a bad compressor and I need to get it on the road ASAP. I'm going to attempt an alternate compressor set up like Instrumental did on THIS thread but in the meantime I've been looking at short term options. If the ride height ends up being a little raked it wont matter as I tow a small trailer weekly. (5'x9' flatbed with lawnmower, plywood, Air compressor, etc.) If the coil spring setup works too well I might just loose motivation to redo the Air ride. Sorry Instrumental

RiccoH

Feb 27, 2017
Haines City, FL
How are those Moogs holding up. (ride quality, any sag over time, etc.) I just bought an 08' with a bad compressor and I need to get it on the road ASAP. I'm going to attempt an alternate compressor set up like Instrumental did on THIS thread but in the meantime I've been looking at short term options. If the ride height ends up being a little raked it wont matter as I tow a small trailer weekly. (5'x9' flatbed with lawnmower, plywood, Air compressor, etc.) If the coil spring setup works too well I might just loose motivation to redo the Air ride. Sorry Instrumental

I have pulled my small enclosed trailer (about 1,500 lbs) and the ride with just spring has been horrible. way to much bouncing around and jolting the truck some some of the not so smooth haiways here in PA around 55 mph. The side to side sway is sometimes unerving, just my experience with springs, however fully loaded to 4k lbs I drove from San Diego to Orlando and then to Harrisburg and didn't even feel the trailer in the back at 80 mph

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.