Control arm bushings and noise

floridafitz

Original poster
Jan 2, 2012
Winter Springs FL
Hey guys...first post after finding the new site. Nice job!! Still not sure how to set up my vehicle info under my screen name so I apologize. 2003 Envoy XL 4WD SLT I6 with 163k miles. One change out of sway bar end links at 100k and new struts / shocks at 140k. Getting a squeaking noise at low speed when tapping brakes (lurching), and low speed over bumps and dips. Not the standard clunking when end links are bad. We spray lubed the lower control arm bushings trying to identify the source and the squeaking subsided significantly. Know its only a short term fix. Anyone else experienced this issue and solved the noise with new bushings? The bushing part is discontinued by GM. Any suggestions on a good vendor and source? Thanks.

ieatglue

Nov 20, 2011
You can buy the lower control arm bracket (with the bushings) for about $50 each off RockAuto Auto Parts

You can also buy MOOG replacement bushings for $11 each, also on RockAuto but that's more of a hassle and very time consuming compared to unbolting the old and reinstalling the new.

If you do go with rockauto, make sure you look around the site for the 5% discount

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
Ive been dealing with the creaking for years... I just replaced my lower control arm brackets last month! :eek:

The bushings in the brackets were completely whacked. The steering is soooooooooooo much tighter now.

However, my creaking remains :undecided: Im pretty sure its the sway bar bushings again (replaced once about 5 years ago with NAPA parts) because I replaced my upper control arms last year.

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
floridafitz said:
Getting a squeaking noise at low speed when tapping brakes (lurching), and low speed over bumps and dips.

Mine were the upper control arm bushings :squint:. I'd take some WD-040 or Grease, and spray/grease out the joints, bushings, links One by One. Spray/grease a part and take a quick spin and see if there's a difference. Once you pin point your problem head to rockauto like ieatglue pointed out.

It may take you a bit more time in diagnosing the problem but well worth it. You don't wanna end up replacing parts and not solve the problem now do you :nono:

ieatglue

Nov 20, 2011
I've been getting retarded sounds from all over the front end. I ended up buying upper control arm bushings, lower control arm bushings, strut to arm bushing, inner/outer tie rods and upper/lower ball joints. I also picked up and have already replaced the OEM struts with Bilstein HD's. It's a full front end overhaul, but besides the bi-yearly greasing of the bushings, it should be virtually maintenance free for the next 4-5 years. My truck is just shy of being 9 years old

v7guy

Dec 4, 2011
I had the same issues as ieatglue. Replacing the bushings solved the problem.
I made a quick thread about replacing just the bushings instead of buying the arms, it's in this forum.

floridafitz

Original poster
Jan 2, 2012
Winter Springs FL
Dang it's good to be on this site! Goodbye Trailvoy....thanks for the memories. Appreciate all the info. I'm guessing if I replace the lower control arm brackets should probably replace the upper arms at the same time. May leave the ball joints alone unless you think at 163k miles they can not be up to the job.

markmc

Nov 20, 2011
floridafitz said:
Dang it's good to be on this site! Goodbye Trailvoy....thanks for the memories. Appreciate all the info. I'm guessing if I replace the lower control arm brackets should probably replace the upper arms at the same time. May leave the ball joints alone unless you think at 163k miles they can not be up to the job.

You might as well replace the ball joints while you have everything apart..my 2 pennies..

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
when you changed out the end links, did you change out the sway bar bushings as well? its an easy swap (easier than the control arm bushings) and worth a shot first. clean up the bushing area on the bar well and lube before re-installing.

on my cars once i get over 100kmi i'm pulling apart the front end and redoing all the soft parts... all the bushings and ball joints (control arms and tie rods). pushing/pressing is a bit of a chore, you may want to take your arms/brackets/spindles to a shop and have them pop them out on a hydraulic press. if you can get them to do it for under $100 its money well spent IMO.

floridafitz

Original poster
Jan 2, 2012
Winter Springs FL
Thanks for the comments. Don't know anything about sway bar bushings but the links were changed by a shop I used at the time. I'm learning but honestly know very little about the suspension system sorry to say. That's another reason it was so good to find the new site. Unbelievably valuable and talented people out the wazoo here.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online