Consequences for not maintaining 5psi in Airlift bags?

Playsinsnow

Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
That time of year and I am thinking of putting Airlift1000 bags on my list. I have just read many posts related to these and have one question to those who have them on stock springs... Will I have to worry about maintaining the 5 psi, especially when the temperatures will fluctuate so much in winter? (<0-40F) On the coldest of days (<-5*F) the tires drop in psi so I would assume the bags will. They won't be used much but obviously want them to be in good condition when needed.
I also spent a good amount of time finding out something I should have already known, that I have the softest springs GM offered in back :frown:

Playsinsnow

Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
Airlift's installation manual says that 5psi must be maintained so that the bags retain their shape when not in use. Now waiting for the morning to come and hopefully Airlift tech assistance will answer my other question about cold weather operation...

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
By "retain their shape" they're wanting the bag to not fold over, protrude through the spring coils, and get pinched in a compression cycle. If you get their compressor like I did, there's a 5PSI minimum electrical switch that forces the compressor on if the pressure gets too low, if you have a slow leak in the lines, for instance.

Keeping 10-15 pounds and maintaining it is not a big hardship. On the other problem, just upgrade your springs. They're not too expensive.......:wink:

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
On Saturday I was helping a friend figure out where to install his Air lift compressor and manifold. He returned the air lift bags and went with a different brand because of the mounting position on his Sierra. Still haven't decided if compressor is better on the frame or under the hood. To your question, I remember reading about cold weather use and it said to use some air brake anti freeze, in the pic of his pump the instruction sheet is open to that info on the left page...

Attachments

• 20130928_175354.jpg
    20130928_175354.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 9

Playsinsnow

Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
I thought about leaving them at 15psi in winter and I have no problem using antifreeze brake fluid. Would I have to watch the compressor too or is there a drain valve? I had planned on going without the pump and just adding manually when necessary.

Problem with new springs, and no they are not too expensive, is I do not want any lift to the back. Not yet anyways. I haven't come across a spring that doesn't add height or feel like a dump truck when empty. Z71s are not for me. Besides, lifting the rear and increasing the wheel to fender gap would mean opening a whole new can of worms I'm not prepared to do anytime soon. I like the fact of adding a little air to lose some of the drop when I pack it up.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online