confusion

burg99

Original poster
Dec 23, 2012
I still have no AWD which is nice to have this time of year in Iowa. the guy working on it 2003 olds bravada told me it is a gear that goes from a shaft to the front differential. i also have no ABS which he also says is the problem. question is does anyone no what this is called. he says it is chewed up and it on the passenger side. i believe he said there is a speed sensor that reads this gear which is why nothing is working. he also, said this is a part that cant be replaced only rebuilt. any help would be great.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Find an experienced trailblazer mechanic. Either he's confused and you're remembering it correctly, or he's correct but you're telling us a distorted story. Either, way, we can't help until we get a clear description of his diagnosis and why you reject it.

What kind of help do you need? If you're not a DIY'er, we can't help you fix it. If you don't trust your mechanic, we can't improve that situation.

Basically, though:

1) How many miles do you have, and has the transfer case fluid been changed every 50K miles, as required?
2) How about the front differential? Fluid level and age OK?
3) There is indeed a shaft from the transfer case to the front differential and it has a gear on it inside the differential. If this is chewed up, you need a new differential or a rebuild and this is upwards of $1000 even with junkyard parts. Lots of labor. Did he say you need a new diff? What's he given you for a price quote?
4) ABS and AWD are separate systems except for a wheel speed sensor, which is built into the hub bearing assembly. It is easily replaced. If he says it's only possible to rebuild, he's a goof.

mrphoenix80

Jan 1, 2013
I think the gear he maybe talking about is the front axle bearing on the side of the oil pan??? This is unlikly the cause of your issue as you said you have AWD and this part is just a bearing in your case. The AWD can not cause the ABS not to work however on some GMTs the ABS is used for data to make the AWD work. After a quick check I dont think this is the case for you either because the service info I have states that the AWD uses 3 speed sensors to monitor wheel slip(front prop shaft,rear prop shaft and VSS) all mounted in the transfer case. So it looks like you may have 2 sepreate issues, but with out more info I can't be sure. Do you Have any lights on? If so do you know what the trouble codes are? Does it make noises? Ruined gears or bearings normally do.

This is the part I think you are talking about.
Intermediate Shaft bearing Assembly (located on the right side of the oil pan)

However this is why I dont think its is your issue.
The front axle on Automatic Four Wheel Drive (A4WD) model vehicles do not have a disconnect feature in order to engage and disengage the front axle.
So yeah what Roadie said

burg99

Original poster
Dec 23, 2012
Its on the oassenger side he found it by putting on the lift put it in gear. He said there was a grinding noise in the front and it was this gear. He said no one or junkyard wants to sell it seperate from the transmission. Im just confused without seeing it. The only light is abs and says right front speed sensor missing

mrphoenix80

Jan 1, 2013
So you have a speed sensor disabling the ABS due to a fault code stored most likely the sensor it self. Easy fix.

But I still have no real clue what you are talking aboutfor the AWD. I can only Guess.
As theRoadie said you need to find a tech who KNOWS these trucks and you can trust.
Time for a second opinion from a person that can be hands on with your truck!!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
burg99 said:
He said no one or junkyard wants to sell it seperate from the transmission.
He's under-prepared to be working on this platform, then. What I *think* he's discussing is what's called the "splined disconnect" on a trailblazer. On yours it doesn't have a disconnect feature, and 90% of the internal parts are the same. Read this: Offroadtb.com Front Axle 4WD Disconnect Print it out, and take it to your mechanic and ask if that's it. The parts are available to rebuild it.
Im just confused without seeing it.
Imagine the pickle we're in then. :crazy:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online