Confused on my BOSE

07TrailyLS

Original poster
May 7, 2014
Toledo ohio
Hi guys. Back in 2014 I pulled my factory HU and replaced it with a pioneer avh-5700bhs double din. I kept the factory BOSE system and just used a cheap 10 dollar wiring harness from amazon. I don’t have any Chimes which is what I wanted in the first place. Here’s where my confusion comes in. I bought new alpine 610 6.5 inch component speakers this week and went to install them today. Had to do pretty good trimming on the mounts that hold the Bose front door speakers but they fit well. Now after browsing the internet I keep seeing that since I didnt buy the expensive gmos-04 harness I’ve completely bypassed my factory Bose amp and it sounds like I’m running my factory speakers directly from my Head units built in amp. Does this make any sense? Or am I reading all this info the wrong way. Also, I’m seeing that maybe I can’t run these components up front because they are 2 ohm stable rather than 4 that the Bose system uses? Kind of confused.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
The Bose system with the amp uses 2ohm speakers, not 4ohm. In regards to not using the GMOS-04 or PAC RP5-GM11 harness, I believe your are correct. Both of those harnesses allow you to keep and use the Bose amp, retained accessory power and with the extra harness, allows you to retain use of your steering wheel controls, if you have them.

Reactions: Blckshdw

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
since I didnt buy the expensive gmos-04 harness I’ve completely bypassed my factory Bose amp and it sounds like I’m running my factory speakers directly from my Head units built in amp. Does this make any sense? Or am I reading all this info the wrong way.

:undecided: I wouldn't think all of the speaker wires from the Bose amp would travel back to the HU area, and then fan out to each location, so the HU harness you got probably doesn't bypass the amp and hook all the speakers directly up to the HU. Do you recall how many connections you had to make as far as the speakers go? Was it speaker wire connections (+/- for each speaker) or RCA connections for the low level amp signal?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
With a regular harness not for Bose, your setup shouldn't work with any HU. Speakers wiring don't go to the HU at all, only from the amp. From the HU, you are supposed to send pre-amp to the Bose amp or you would just get distortion from the speaker out of the HU. And you need an activation wire hooked up to turn on the amp. That's why you really need a Bose specific harness.

Reactions: Matt

07TrailyLS

Original poster
May 7, 2014
Toledo ohio
im Going to pull the head unit out this weekend just for shits and giggles. I need to see what kind of wiring harness is back there. It’s honestly bugging me now lol.

Last edited:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
im Going to pull the head unit out this weekend just for shits and giggles. I need to see what kind of wiring harness is back there. It’s honestly bugging me now lol.

Take a pic for us, if you would please? :tiphat:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online