Confirmed.....GM closing Oshawa assembly plant

cornchip

Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Merry Christmas from GM to the remaining 3000 employees left on Oshawa, the assembly plat that once had 40,000 workers....closing it's doors for good.

Working in the machine shop trade, I caught wind of a massive contract cancellation with a company also in Ontario and the immediate layoff of those workers as well less than a week ago. Do I smell the start of something? Back in late 2016, a GM exec threatened a pullout due to an unfavorable business climate north of the boarder. The CAMI plant in Ingersol can expect this same treatment.

A sad but inevitable day.

https://www.cp24.com/news/oshawa-gm-plant-to-close-affecting-thousands-of-jobs-1.4191957

Reactions: Redbeard

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Hopefully it's not true, of course. I just looked up the site - rated 4th best place to work in Canada, and #1 for wages & bennies. Highest rated of all GM plants for quality build. Makes vehicles for US / Canada / Worldwide markets.

I could guess some of the reasons...
- Overall auto sales are slowing, as the NA and global economies head downward.
- GM recently offered voluntary separation packages to try and cull 14K from the workforce. Only 4K took the offer, and GM warned managers this past week that layoffs were coming, as soon as Jan 15.
- With NAFTA II revisions (some may want to rename it 'USMC', but I refuse to make the Corps share their acronym with another entity), there will be various changes to Canadian-manufactured vehicles, as far as 'where' they can be sold, relative to where they're assembled, as well as the amount of content from the various countries the automakers source the parts from. Probably some other changes, too, but that's what I seem to remember as far as the 'main' changes WRT the revised agreement.

A sad but inevitable day.

This is the one thing you wrote that I don't necessarily agree with. This did not have to be 'inevitable', should it happen.

10MM sq feet of flexible manufacturing going idle. Gonna affect a lot more than the 3000 workers in the area. :worried: As far as 'when', my guess would be after Christmas; not long after Boxing Day (to do it sooner would be a PR mess, IMO)

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
Gotta feel sorry for that many folks going out of work. And to hear of a plant that size not being used seems like a terrible waste. Hopefully the workers have prepared for this.

Reactions: mrrsm and Reprise

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
We have seen this before from Grinch Motors, laying off people just before Xmas. They did the exact same thing to the Moraine Ohio plant where the 360's were built. Before that, they closed the Boisbriand plant in Ste-Therese QC plant where they used to build the 4th gen Camaro/Firebird, which was demolished.

And the official name is USMCA. Don't know how that plays into it. Maybe it's the particular models they were building there, like Ford abandoning all car production except the Mustang.

Still a sad situation though, no matter who it happens to.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
And the official name is USMCA. Don't know how that plays into it. Maybe it's the particular models they were building there, like Ford abandoning all car production except the Mustang.

No - 'USMCA' is the new name for the trilateral agreement on trade between the three countries. That acronym (and it's *still* a travesty, even with an 'A' on the end) has nothing to do with GM or the plant in question, on a macro level.

Ford will regret ceasing auto production, unless they start up a skunk works to be ready for a quick intro of a car or two, as situations warrant. Or continue to build cars for Europe that they can bring over here quickly (this would likely need to involve 'covert' EPA certification, IIHS testing, etc. -- which really isn't a hardship at all, as long as they're proactive about it.)

Yes, I know that the transition from ICE to electric-powered vehicles has started in earnest, and an electric motor (or four) can power a truck as well as a car. Well, a light-duty one, anyway. And I know petroleum will never become a scarce resource unless we decide to stop fracking / Alberta decides to stop turning the province into one big strip mine / quarry. But it would be dangerous for any manufacturer in this industry to be caught flat-footed to changing market conditions. That's a big contributing factor, IMO, why the automakers got into trouble back in the mid-aughts, so that when the global economy fell apart in 2008-2009, they nearly went under.

But I digress. Back to 'if' and 'why' GM may be closing this plant - is it a canary in the coal mine, as was suggested?

Reactions: Mooseman

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
GM has been a horrible company for years. Back when I worked for them before the bail out, it was bad. And I hoped that the bail out would not have happened. But it did, we all payed for it, and myself, and a lot of others lost their jobs.

Surprised I am not, ashamed I am.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
GM has been a horrible company for years. Back when I worked for them before the bail out, it was bad. And I hoped that the bail out would not have happened. But it did, we all payed for it, and myself, and a lot of others lost their jobs.

Surprised I am not, ashamed I am.

Sad. That hurts my GM fan boy cult feelings. But I've known they were bad for a while, not that the employees were treated bad tho. Honestly I can't stick up for them much anymore since the afm switch, oil consumption, and recent timing issues. Can't recommend them to customers because the average consumer won't top off their oil and the engine consumes itself.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
All of them have their issues. Ford? Their "Three Ton" paper weights and self destructing trannys speak for themselves. Chrysler? Their shifters will kill you and I can't get in and out of them without dislocating my neck. Imports? Need a mortgage for one of those (although domestic trucks are like luxo barges these days).

I'm also finding it hard to support a company that doesn't support its people, communities and brands and can't sell/advertise their stuff right. They've killed more brands than all of them combined through mismanagement and stupidity, most with long deep rooted history that people do look for.

Yeah, NAFTA was just too easy to say and neutral and replaced it a totally effed up name. Of course GM are going to deny it but I think that the current economic climate between all countries, not just North America, has something to do with it.

I've also been a GM fan boy since I was a boy as my dad always owned a GM, except for a short stint with a VW Beetle. Who knows where I'll go from here.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Fords current economic position is about where GM was in 2008 so it really didn't surprise me when they cut the cars. Little crap boxes anyway. Dodge isn't even on my radar, want to talk about a heaping pile crap? I had 1 and would never, ever go back after that experience with that POS. It's sad GM killed one plant but somehow doubled the bowling green plant. Building a few more vettes a year ain't going to save them.

cornchip

Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Confirmed.....GM trimming global workforce 15%. :eek:

The break down....

1. Oshawa Assembly in Oshawa, Ontario, Canada.
2. Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly in Detroit.
3. Lordstown Assembly in Warren, Ohio.
4. Baltimore Operations in White Marsh, Maryland.
5. Warren Transmission Operations in Warren, Michigan.
6/7. In addition to the previously announced closure of the assembly plant in Gunsan, Korea, GM will cease the operations of two additional plants outside North America by the end of 2019.

LINK and LINK

Last edited:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I have been a Fan Boy of GM, mainly Pontiac, for many a years, ever since my Grandma purchased her 1985 Chevy Celebrity CL V-6 brand new. I have owned some of the rarest GM's ever made, even my Pontiac Aztek GT is considered rare because of the type of build it is, 1 of 3 made with this build set. A 1989 Pontiac 6000 STE AWD 1 of 1376 made. A 1990 Pontiac ASC McLaren Turbo Grand Prix 1 of 2225 made. And many more..

GM wont even stand behind their warrantys. Their customer service is laughable. When recalls come out, good luck on getting that fixed.

There are certain GM's I will still consider, but none are still made. 2006-07 GMC/Chevy Duramax 2500 trucks. Pontiac G8. GMT360 only in a V8 SWB or V8 XUV. And Lastly, Chevy SS.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just watched the union boss give his speech and one thing struck me. He mentioned that if GM wanted to pander to politics, they could have closed a token Mexican plant but didn't. Also mentioned the new Blazer, which seems that it will be built in Mexico.

On top of that, they negotiated their last contract in bad faith as GM guaranteed they would not close the Oshawa plant at least until 2020.

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
"It would have made much more sense to shut down the plant in Mexico. President Trump is speaking about totally shutting down the border with Mexico - including automobiles. "
Mooseman

It would have made much more sense to shut down the plant in Mexico. President Trump is speaking about totally shutting down the border with Mexico - including automobiles. And with the caravan at the border it appears that is what he will do.

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
We have seen this before from Grinch Motors, laying off people just before Xmas.

This is standard corporate philosphy for lots of companies, laying off people just before holidays. The logic, or spin if you are cynical like me, being that they will be around family and loved ones who can support them through a crappy time. I suppose that if a company has a fiscal year that is not the same as a calendar year, it might actually be true.

When I heard how they are focusing on electric cars and autonomous cars all I could think was the same morons who discontinued the traiblazer must still be working there.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Personally I'd rather be fired before I do my holiday shopping that way I'm not worrying about more Bills but that's just me. If I'm in the position I may feel differently.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
They haven't been fired or laid off yet. They still have a year. Hopefully most of them find jobs during that year.

I know they did the documentary "The Last Truck" for the closing of the Moraine Ohio plant where 360's were built. Hope they do one for Oshawa as this one had been there for over 100 years and would give a Canadian perspective. Generations have worked there. Worth documenting.

Reactions: Redbeard and smt 59

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
It makes sense that Oshawa would be the first to go, Ontario is a very expensive place to do business. Sad, but not surprising.

This is however a drop in the bucket compared to mismanagement (malfeasance?) that is going on with Alberta oil and pipelines. That travesty will impact all Canadians whereas this is mainly a GTA/SW ON impact.

cornchip

Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Hopefully most of them find jobs during that year.

It's a catch 22 kinda thing here in Ontario. If you follow the timeline and get laid off at the end, you will get from GM 2 weeks (minimum) for every year of service at a company of 50 employees or greater(applies). Those with a few years of service have nothing to loose by leaving early. Crazy to quit if this has been your life long job. Best thing to try for is lining something up as the end nears for later. Been there and done that about 10 years ago. I still feel the insecurity of those days even now. So much stress.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
None of those going away surprise me, except the Cruze disappearing is a bit of a disappointment. Oh well.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Wouldn't be the first time the Camaro would be killed off. The Vette? Maybe too iconic?

But are we, the consumer, responsible for this? Sedans being dumped for trucks and SUV's. Products and businesses disappear due to changing tastes and technology. Kodak, Blockbuster, Polaroid, Sears (in Canada anyway), malls, milk men, TV repair shops, etc., were all victims of changing tastes and times.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
There may be an actual outrage if they dump the vette. Especially considering they just dumped a few million dollars into bowling green to double the plant size.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
If they kill either of those cars I'd be really sad.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Doubt the Vette ever goes away.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
With the Mid-Engine Vette being so close to production, I doubt it.

Ford and Chevy dropping all the cars, can they not compete with the foreign brands? I really like the smaller GM cars (Volt, Spark, Bolt). Hate the Ford products, and I will never buy a Dodge FWD product.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I was really surprised about the Volt. With its improvements, it should have sold better but the numbers speak for themselves. The first Gen sold well but I guess SUVs and trucks win again.

cornchip

Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Tax credits keep the electric/hybrids affordable....and that's not saying much. Our Federal,Provincial and Municipal governments are broke enough as it is. So far, it's been just another perk for the wealthy. Just another form of corporate welfare.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Here's an Australian perspective of these closings that makes a lot of sense that the whole thing with self driving cars is BS:

And just a reminder that political posts, statements and the like are still prohibited by the forum rules and will be deleted and dealt with swiftly. We've already had to deal with a couple such posts.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online