Confirmation of axle size?

Shdwdrgn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I found a rear axle with GT5 and G80 codes from a 2005 Envoy XL. Can anyone confirm for me that all of the XL models (which I assume is the same as the EXT) should have the 8.6" differential?

Phantom

Jun 17, 2012
Shdwdrgn said:
I found a rear axle with GT5 and G80 codes from a 2005 Envoy XL. Can anyone confirm for me that all of the XL models (which I assume is the same as the EXT) should have the 8.6" differential?

Gt5 is the 4.10 gears and you are correct with the 8.6 diff the ext's and xl's have them.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Yes..

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
SWB I6s: 8" rear
LWB I6, SWB/LWB 5.3L V8: 8.6" rear
TBSS/Aero: 9.5" 14 bolt rear

The RPO for gears is on here many times, but those are 4.10s fwiw.

Shdwdrgn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Awesome... Since the seller didn't answer my question about the diff size, I thought I'd just double-check that it was what I expected. And thanks for all the replies about the GT5 code, but yes I did know it is for the 4.10 gears.

Rear axle is purchased and on its way, front axle is sitting in my garage. 4.10's, here I come!

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
You going to lock either diff?

Shdwdrgn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I wasn't planning on it? I don't do any "serious" off-roading like you guys do, but the opportunity is here for the occasional wheeling. This is my daily-driver. and based on my typical driving and larger wheel size, the 4.10's should be a lot better suited for me (and maybe even help with mileage in all the stop&go traffic). Plus I occasionally tow a 5500-pound trailer up the mountain, and we do get some heavy snowstorms here once in awhile.

Too bad the timing sucked this year... I'm actually towing that trailer up on Thursday. Will have to wait until next time to see how the gears improve the towing.

However, regarding the locking, and knowing what my general use is, should this be an option I should consider? It may be awhile yet before I have a chance to install the new axles, so there's time to consider other options.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I missed that it had the G80 locker. Sounds like the lower gears and that will be all you need for your use. I love the 4.10s, but would go lower if someone else wanted to pay for it.

With 35s and 4.10 in mixed driving I have gotten 16 and 16.2 over the past two tanks of fuel. Hand calculated and same gas staion to fill each time. Pretty freaking happy with those numbers. I do whach my scanguage and have have found the sweet spots for MPG. Bout 50 and 65 and 78 do better than any number in between those. But you will have different weight and aerodynamics as well as probably different mods...I opened the air intake, custom catback, and had pcm tuned for both those and high test fuel.

Shdwdrgn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I have HPTuners and have spent a lot of time fine-tuning my shift points... I'll have to go through all that again once the new gears are in, plus apparently getting the dealer to do a reprogram so my speedometer is corrected. I think I calculated my speedo is going to be off by 19% after the gear change. I'd love to learn more about tuning in HPT, but it seems like everything is this huge trade-secret that nobody is willing to discuss, so I have to just keep playing with different tables and see what affects they have.

Finding the G80 option took a bit more digging, but my 3.42's have the G80 and it handles well. I'm running 30.6" tires, and its just too much for these gears. Sometimes I can get up to around 18mpg on the highway, but I used to get 22. Its curious that you get better mileage at certain specific speeds... makes me think there's some kind of resonant harmonic where everything runs better, which in turn suggests that something is out of balance?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Shdwdrgn said:
I have HPTuners and have spent a lot of time fine-tuning my shift points... I'll have to go through all that again once the new gears are in, plus apparently getting the dealer to do a reprogram so my speedometer is corrected. I think I calculated my speedo is going to be off by 19% after the gear change. I'd love to learn more about tuning in HPT, but it seems like everything is this huge trade-secret that nobody is willing to discuss, so I have to just keep playing with different tables and see what affects they have.

Finding the G80 option took a bit more digging, but my 3.42's have the G80 and it handles well. I'm running 30.6" tires, and its just too much for these gears. Sometimes I can get up to around 18mpg on the highway, but I used to get 22. Its curious that you get better mileage at certain specific speeds... makes me think there's some kind of resonant harmonic where everything runs better, which in turn suggests that something is out of balance?

I did not think even the dealer could fix your speedo if before 2006.

There are a few guys on here that seem pretty knowledgeable on HPT, have you asked around here?

I think it has zero to do with balance. I think it has to do with the torque convertor being locked up and not popping in and out like it used to. I also think that it is my driving style and how everything fits together. I never use cruise control. Barely ever go more than 1/2 throttle and am good at coasting.

50 on country roads works better than 45 or 55. Everything just kinda clicks and it rolls along nicely.

65 on hilly highways seems to give good mpg and not too much shifting. even if 3rd is needed, it does not kill the mpg.

78 on the nice flat open highway and it sails along pretty good. Stays in lock-up and rpms are not too high but not too low that I do not have torque for the little grade changes.

Just my sweet spots I have found, but they can vary. Its a matter of knowing the truck. A simple change in weight of my tires changed things. Same height and basically same width, but new set-up is 20 lbs less per corner and I can honestly tell. Helps to run a chalk test and run the max PSI with flat pattern wear as well.

Shdwdrgn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
I did not think even the dealer could fix your speedo if before 2006.

There has to be something they do to adjust for the different gears... Even if they can't dial it in specifically for my tire size, they can at least get it much closer. However my understanding is that the dealer can dial in by tire size, but HPTuners cannot. (HPT doesn't seem able to make ANY adjustments to the speedo for our truck.)

Shdwdrgn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Oh wow, what did I just get myself in to? The new axle arrived today, and it was a complete axle, with rotors and everything. It took two of us to carry it into the garage, and I'm guessing I'm not going to be changing this out by myself. I don't even have the energy right now to unwrap the plastic and see what kind of shape it is in, but what bits I saw looked pretty good.

So does anyone know if the rotors are the same size between models? I know, a little late to be asking now, but the ones on this axle sure looked big.

Moots12

Sep 7, 2012
Shdwdrgn said:
Oh wow, what did I just get myself in to? The new axle arrived today, and it was a complete axle, with rotors and everything. It took two of us to carry it into the garage, and I'm guessing I'm not going to be changing this out by myself. I don't even have the energy right now to unwrap the plastic and see what kind of shape it is in, but what bits I saw looked pretty good.

So does anyone know if the rotors are the same size between models? I know, a little late to be asking now, but the ones on this axle sure looked big.

The rear rotors are the same.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Moots12 said:
The rear rotors are the same.

Rear rotors are same for every rear axle in platform...8.0, 8.6, 9.5. I thought the SS would change but nope.

Shdwdrgn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Nice, thanks guys! Now I just gotta get through this weekend... big festival, broke out the trebuchet and we're hurling bowling balls across the lake. If we can keep from killing anyone, its a successful weekend :biggrin:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online