Computer swap question

WeaponX

Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
Pittston, PA
If I need to swap out the computer which just may be the case are they flashed to the vin of the truck they came out of? Some cars are like that so I wanted to ask first. Thanks

Eric04

Dec 3, 2014
West Michigan
IIRC you can swap another PCM and drive around without much issue, though you will get an error on the crank angle(need a CASE relearn). I also think I've read it is best to swap with the same model year, but again, I can't recall if that's the whole truth. Someone will be along to slap me if I've gone wrong, that's what is great about this place.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
As long as it's the same year and gearing, you just need to do the security relearn and a CASE relearn.

WeaponX

Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
Pittston, PA
Ok let’s pretend I have no idea how to do that lol not pretend I don’t I just can’t figure out what else can be wrong with my truck everything is new 🤦‍♂️

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Concerning a PCM Swap ...This Video from @MAY03LT is Instructive. Even though the 2006 PCM Looks different and yours will need to be Unbolted at the Three Individual Colored Wire Bundle Connectors, each having a captured, sunken 7mm Fastener, the Principles that Drew is demonstrating here ...should work:

This is a related, On Topic Link for more Information:

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online