NEED HELP Compressor freezing

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I changed your title for more responses.

We want to try to help but we're not mind readers. More details are needed. In what conditions is this happening (outdoor temperature, HVAC settings)? Why do you want A/C when you're asking for heat? What part of the A/C is freezing (compressor itself, evaporator, condenser, pipes)? What is the A/C charge like? Does the compressor work at all?

Bittersweet66

Original poster
Jan 23, 2021
Edmonton Kentucky
I changed your title for more responses.

We want to try to help but we're not mind readers. More details are needed. In what conditions is this happening (outdoor temperature, HVAC settings)? Why do you want A/C when you're asking for heat? What part of the A/C is freezing (compressor itself, evaporator, condenser, pipes)? What is the A/C charge like? Does the compressor work at all?
I’m using the heater now but about 30 min using the heater is on the the compressor is iced up

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The compressor iced up? Not sure how that is possible. The receiver/dryer (the can) can get iced up, which can be normal during use. If the evaporator is icing up restricting air flow, it might be low on charge or the low pressure switch isn't kicking in to prevent this.

BTW, A/C automatically comes on with defrost mode. If you have the manual HVAC system, even if you have the knob just one click towards defrost, it kicks on the compressor. If you want to stop this, pull out the compressor relay.

Reactions: Redbeard

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
On my truck the compressor always ran with recirculate on... it would freeze and reduce heat flow in the winter. Never figured out why it would do that. If I had it on cold on a damp day it would literally snow inside my truck too. Pressure switches all function at design specs so I just left it. Kept me cold in the summer.

• Wow
Reactions: Redbeard

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online