Compliant Machines: Why Machines that BEND... Are BETTER.

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This is one of those Odd Ball Videos about Mechanical Engineering that will defy Common Sense and your own particular bias towards favoring one type of "Classic Mechanical Action" over another ...because you think it should work better than any other... But you WILL enjoy the surprise of what these Incredible 'Compliant Machines' can do... Right Now... in Real World Applications:

I realize that much of what will be described is beyond my comprehension and expensive to pursue... But I've just GOT to know more about this subject. So I found that Professor L.L. Howell's Book, "Compliant Mechanisms" is still in Publication and available on Amazon. and I just had to Pull the Trigger to get one.

So much of what he suggests in the designs of these Amazing Mechanical Things for Earth and Space Bound Machinery makes perfect sense to me and I just want to learn more about what those possibilities are...

Last edited:
Reactions: Redbeard

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Man, I thought you were getting into some AvE. Canadian mad man that does lots of machining and dissects everyday items along with some colorful jargon. Has done a few vids on compliant machines and shows his struggles to cnc one.

Reactions: mrrsm and Redbeard

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
@Mounce.... Man.... I preeeshyate you introducing me to this Dude. I never heard a peep about him until you mentioned him here. This is the first Video I found on his interests Linked below... and while my investigation of "Machines that Bend" via Prof. Howell's Text Book is strictly an Academic one, (and probably an exercise in futility on my part since my Math Skills are Dog Meat), I don't dare get into anything involving CNC and Metal Lathes at this late stage of my life. But it is still very cool to see this Guy from the Great White North in Action. He strikes me as being as Down to Earth as you are... and THAT is well intended praise for you both:

Reactions: Redbeard and Mounce

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online