Comparison & Use of ACDelco HVAC Dash Controllers for 00'-02' Silverados

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
When I started out with having a problem with my HVAC on my “BLUE Y2K Silverado”, I simply accepted the idea that I’d just have to replace a bunch of these 20 Year Old BDAs. The next Link will take you to my “Flickr-Bucket” showing ALL of the hidden HVAC Under-Dash Modules WITH OEM Part Numbers:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/126111508@N07/albums/72157714563861206

ACDELCOHVACBDAS1.jpg

Of course, I was also reconciled with having to tear into the New Front Dash Fascia and New Upper Dashboard Cover I recently installed and then wrangle out the Old BDAs and worm the Brand New OEM ACDelco BDAs right back in. I figured doing just this R&R would solve ALL of my present HVAC Issues.

But I was WRONG.

This is because right along with the steady “Thump-Thump-Thump” sound from a misbehaving Fresh Air BDA in the Upper - Center Passenger area under the Dashboard, there was also the problem of having Constant Heat venting out from along the Floorboard under the Dash. No matter which Buttons (or combinations of them) that I pushed on using the HVAC Dash Controller Module, there was No Way to coax the Air Flow out of any of the other Vents; neither in front of nor below the Dash Vents. So it boiled down to having TWO distinct HVAC System Problems that just happened to present at around the same time.

My 2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Long Bed Truck sports the ostensibly ‘Rugged and Boxy’ semi-mechanical ACDelco HVAC Single Area Climate Controller Part # 15753264 that usually costs around $350.00 + at the Local dealerships and On-line GM Parts Direct Outlets. But sadly, since GM has moved on with an even later 3rd Generation HVAC Controller… these 2000 to 2002 HVAC Dash Controllers have become as scarce as Hen’s Teeth.

Please note from the images below that while there are some curves in the plastic that give some impression that there is a Switch inside the space highlighted in Yellow... there is NONE.

OLDOEMHVACONTROLLER3.jpg
OLDOEMHVACONTROLLER1.jpg
OLDOEMHVACONTROLLER4.jpgOLDOEMHVACONTROLLER0.jpg

Last month, I persisted with noodling around over on eBay regularly and finally located a similar one as an ACDelco HVAC Dual Area Climate Controller Part # 15753263 that was being offered for around $160.00 WITH an option to “Make An Offer”. Since the eBay Seller was placing a Six Month Guarantee on this Module, I decided to Poke In an offer for $120.00 and they accepted my Bid on the spot.

Please not that within the space highlighted in Red & Yellow... there IS a Heater Vent Button available for the "REAR":

2000SILVERADOHVACONTROLLER1.jpg2000SILVERADOHVACONTROLLER2.jpg
2000SILVERADOHVACONTROLLER6.jpg2000SILVERADOHVACONTROLLER7.jpg

Since the only other “EXACT” Optional replacement version comes from Dorman and sells Brand New for around $110.00 … I thought I’d take a chance here and just to try and keep my beloved Truck running with as many OEM Parts inside the Cab as possible. This Unit finally arrived last night after a few weeks delay due to the prevailing COVID S&H problems. I installed it as per the Video Instructions below...AND IT WORKED PERFECTLY.

So if you have one of these 2000-2002 Vintage Trucks... and you are able to locate the DUAL HVAC Controller… I’m here to tell you that IT WILL WORK. The Front Dash Panel Supports the (4) Latching Pin alignments and the Two HVAC Controller Harness Plug-in Connectors are IDENTICAL. This R&R of this particular design of HVAC Controller is NOT hard to perform in any way… but to emphasize the correct procedures to follow, these Two Videos are SPOT ON and NO HAND TOOLS ARE REQUIRED.

The Complete Set of “Color Highlighted” Comparison Images presenting the subtle differences between the Single and Dual ACDelco OEM HVAC Climate Control Modules are on my “Flickr-Bucket” at the link below:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/126111508@N07/albums/72157714563613662

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online