Collapsed Radiator Hoses

DJones

Original poster
Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
After driving around a while and then turning the engine off to cool, the radiator hoses flatten out like black pancakes. Has anybody else had this problem? I'm thinking it could be 1: old hoses, 2: bad radiator cap, or 3: who knows.
After the engine heats up, the hoses expand to their original size and coolant flows. I have replacement hoses, but I haven't heard anything about replacing them as preventative maintenance.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
I am thinking bad cap, or tube to the overflow coolant tank. system is supposed to pull fluid in from there, not compress hose.

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
DJones said:
After driving around a while and then turning the engine off to cool, the radiator hoses flatten out like black pancakes. Has anybody else had this problem? I'm thinking it could be 1: old hoses, 2: bad radiator cap, or 3: who knows.
After the engine heats up, the hoses expand to their original size and coolant flows. I have replacement hoses, but I haven't heard anything about replacing them as preventative maintenance.

I agree, Cap is bad. Had it happen on a couple vehicles.

DJones

Original poster
Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
Any thoughts on aftermarket caps? Or should I buy an OEM?
Also, since I am going to be replacing the hoses anyway, should I replace the heater core hoses on the back of the engine?

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
DJones said:
Any thoughts on aftermarket caps? Or should I buy an OEM?
Also, since I am going to be replacing the hoses anyway, should I replace the heater core hoses on the back of the engine?

Aftermarket cap would probably be ok, no known life span compared to OEM =~10 years in your case.

Hoses are subjective, Do they look mushy? Are they getting bigger than the connections? The new hose materials are lasting longer, your call.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Stant cap will work fine. The hose would depend on if they are mushy.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Id start with the cap as they're cheap and readily available.

Have you replaced the hoses yet? My buddy just started making hoses for the TBSS/5.3, CTS-V, Vette C5/C6, sure I could probably get him to make some for the I6 guys if there's interest. They're not cheap, $150-200 shipped for the TBSS/5.3 and CTS-V hoses right now, but that includes the necessary t-bolt clamps and the hose quality is much better than Jetttstream's (I have a set of Jettt hoses on my SS, these new ones are thicker and keep more heat in them).

DJones

Original poster
Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
I have 2 Goodyear hoses waiting to go in, I'll buy a new cap tomorrow. I would like to see your buddy's hoses and some more information on them.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
DJones said:
I have 2 Goodyear hoses waiting to go in, I'll buy a new cap tomorrow.

While your changing that cap, check the overflow tube and tank. The problem is probably the cap, but it could be a blocked tube.

Hoses collapse because there is negative pressure in the cooling system; usually, because there is negative pressure and a low level of coolant. As the engine heats the water, it expands into the overflow; as the engine cools, the fluid is drawn back into the rad.

DJones

Original poster
Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
I've checked the tube once, but I'll go over it again thoroughly when I replace the cap.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
STLtrailbSS said:
Silicone Hoses (TBSSvendor)
DPHoses, DP Hoses,
^ the ones epic was talking about they do look amazing.

Yep, DP Hoses. I helped one of the co-owners (Jake/Jake747) on Saturday pull his trans and put his new converter and part of his shift kit in. He's local to me so getting a set of I6 hoses wouldnt be an issue. They're looking to expand to pretty much any market that will buy them, but the hoses arent cheap. I know Mike at Jettt had issues selling his at $99, these would be at least $150. Ill text Jake later today and see how many hoses he'd need to sell to make it worthwhile, if we can get a GB going then it might happen.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
My experience in nine years is that group buys mostly fail unless they're for $3.99 LED kits or $12.95 bug shields.

Members LOVE mods, but in general we seem to be frugal SOBs. And the average disposable income seems to be going down as the trucks get older and change hands for less and less money every year. Just an observation.

V8Envoy

Apr 20, 2013
I had the same problem with the upper radiator hose. The hose would go flat after the engine cooled down. I replace the radiator cap and it solved the problem.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zee0719

Members Online