Cold start tick

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
I haven't been inside this motor yet so I cannot speculate on what component in the valvetrain is making this noise.

Was 34 deg outside today and this has been an intermittent problem. Sometimes it will last a few seconds, sometimes 20 but once it goes away it's gone for the day...some days it's quiet. Practically all OC's have been M1, last change I added some MMO and now for this last one I went with some regular Pennzoil to save a few $$ since I plan on adding an additive and possibly drain it early if it's a sticky something in there.

Probably add a qt of MMO and go with it but wanted to see if anyone has had a similiar problem.

[video=youtube;HVTi5wF941M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVTi5wF941M[/video]

Simon01

Dec 5, 2011
What kind of oil filter are you using? I've seen some of the cheaper filters without the anti-drainback valve cause a cold start knock until oil pressure builds up. I have always used AC Delco filters and never had an issue.

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Currently it has a M1 filter on it, previuos filter was a Purolator PureOne and before that a Purolator classic.

PureOne definately has an anti-drainback valve on it.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
I too have a tick, but it is completely different than yours. I was told it's the fan clutch going bad....after hearing how much the stealerships wanted to fix it, I have been doubting them. My fan moves ALL the time. The tick in mine supersedes the sound of the engine though, very loud! So maybe that's another option? :confused:

TheBad

Dec 4, 2011
Mine has the same or very similar tick to it at well. Like yours, cold start up in cold weather.
I have been running Mobil 1 for 75k miles now(145k currently). I have used a variety of filters, no noticeable change.
I have noticed most times its ticking, its low half qt.
It definitely has something to do with initial oil pressure in cold weather...in my case at least.

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Update at 500 miles on the oil change.

Started it last night at work and it ticked for about 2-3 ticks then it stopped. Started it this morning with it being 32 deg outside and no tick..nice and quiet.

Started it at work tonight and no tick, not much valvetrain noise at all really. Hopefully the good ole regular Pennzoil will clean it out, alot of BITOG peeps swear by it and hopefully it's taking a turn for the better....hope I don't jinx myself. Just used the regular DINO 5W-30 with no additives yet.

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Had a few ticks last 2 mornings and one night at work, but only a couple seconds, nothing like before. We shall see.

AnimateDeath

Jan 29, 2012
That sounds like a rocker to me. I don't know if that is your knock or not, but my dad's truck did that as well. Sometimes lasting for a minute or two, but it always went away. It almost always happened after the truck sat overnight. He took it to his mechanic and was told that a rocker needed adjusted, or it had come loose, or something to that affect. He said it never made that sound again. Might be something to check, but his truck don't have our engine so I don't know.

JPZ

Dec 4, 2011
Mine has that some exact noise. Tried changing oil. Used Pennzoil and AC Delco filter every time. Mine seems to start a few seconds after I put it in reverse or drive. Seems to be coming from around cylinder 3 but it quits when it gets to temp. I can turn it off and restart it and it goes away until I put it in reverse or drive.

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Sounds like an oil pressure issue at least. What weight oil are you using and have you used any degreasing agents?

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
AnimateDeath said:
That sounds like a rocker to me. I don't know if that is your knock or not, but my dad's truck did that as well.
Your almost right, usually a morning tick is caused by overnight bleed down in a hydraulic lifter (the lifter moves the push rod, which operates the rocker, which opens the valve).

Cam in block engines (like the 5,3 V8) use lifters and push rods, the overhead cam engines do not have lifters.

The rocker has an adjustment assembly to ensure correct valve opening and closing measurements; the advantage of the hydraulic lifter, is a cushion for the adjustment, to compensate for valve train wear (solid lifters require constant adjustment to compensate for the wear), this adjustment is the lash adjustment.

The overhead cam engines provide the same cushion effect for this wear, by using a hydraulic component called the lash adjuster. It can bleed down overnight, resulting in a morning tick, just like a lifter.

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
I too would get that loud ticking, only on really cold days on cold start up. I suspect the noise is coming from the valve train. I use Amsoil oil filters (biggest anti-drain gaskets) with Royal Purple. On nicer days... nothing. If you haven't changed your oil yet, run some Seafoam some miles before you do. It won't hurt and plus it might help.

JPZ

Dec 4, 2011
gmcman said:
Sounds like an oil pressure issue at least. What weight oil are you using and have you used any degreasing agents?

5/30 with no degreaseing agents. I have been thinking of running some sea foam through it before my next oil change.

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
In this case, it definitely sounds like the valve train IMO but when my exhaust manifold is loose, the exhaust leak makes a ticking noise until it warms up after a minute. I thought it was my valves or lifters ticking until I tightened the manifold. Im not saying this is the OP's problem b/c in that vid it def. sounds like something under the valve cover but for others reading this its worth checking out!

groundshock

Dec 4, 2011
Same problem here. Did an oil change on Friday night and replaced ACDelco filter with Mobil 1 filter and put in Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil.

Knock on wood, but it hasn't happened since. Might be on to something with the anti-drainback valves in the filters?

groundshock

Dec 4, 2011
Just thought I'd chime back in and say that I still haven't had this happen since switching to the Mobil1 filter... I'll report back if it happens again.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online