Cold Start 05 TB LS

Neptune One

Original poster
Nov 28, 2020
Baltimore MD
Hey all,
I started my car this AM it was roughly 32 degrees . I didn’t warm the engine up . I know ... I know... and it shifted into drive very rough. I started to drive down the road and noticed I wasn’t getting any acceleration. (Engine felt heavy) then my check engine light came on. I got concerned and pulled over and attempted to take my key out of the ignition but no bueno ! The key wouldn’t get out of battery mode. I then started to drive to the nearest auto shop for help but it wasn’t open. I just started to continue to work and by the time I got to work the key came out the ignition. bought an OBDII code reader later on that day and got codes : p0740 p0753 p0758 p0785 p2761.

I watched a video on YouTube about replacing fuse 47 and bought a fuse and and a an amp monitor/ reader ( my bad if that’s not the right term) at harbor freight . By the time I got finished buying everything the check engine light was gone! I checked to see if the codes where still there when I performed a scan and they did . I tried to check the fuse but I don’t get a reading on it or any fuse for that matter (maybe I’m using it wrong lol) but I’m not sure if the issue is still there (should I clear the code? ) or all of this was an issue because I didn’t warm up my TB before I started down the road. Any ideas ?? Thanks again!!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Key not wanting to come out is usually an issue with the battery, either dead or poor connection.

Reactions: JerryIrons

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
How long did you wait before you drove away? I'm not 100% sure on this, but I believe the alternator has a brief delay before it offers its full power so you may have driven away with less than optimal voltage.

I don't know how that would affect anything other than maybe coil output but wanted to throw that out, usually it's only a few seconds.

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
For what it's worth, I don't warm up my engine, unless it's really cold like below 10 degrees F. (western NY) And my TB is never in the garage. That being said, my initial driving is very gradual acceleration, picture an old geezer driving down your street until it warms up a bit.

I don't think your codes were caused by you not warming up the vehicle. Cold weather will expose batteries nearing end of life, how old is that battery? Check your connections and grounds as well.

Neptune One

Original poster
Nov 28, 2020
Baltimore MD
For what it's worth, I don't warm up my engine, unless it's really cold like below 10 degrees F. (western NY) And my TB is never in the garage. That being said, my initial driving is very gradual acceleration, picture an old geezer driving down your street until it warms up a bit.

I don't think your codes were caused by you not warming up the vehicle. Cold weather will expose batteries nearing end of life, how old is that battery? Check your connections and grounds as well.
It was in the low 30s I took it to a shop and they couldn’t find anything they replaced the shift solenoids, starter, gasket and transmission filter.
I don’t believe the battery is old but I’m not sure I just got the truck in October and I didn’t start having issues until it started getting cold a few weeks ago

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Your situation prompted me to search around a bit...and THIS read covers this "Chilly Battery" subject to a "T"...and answers the Question about why your Electrical system was stressed without a Warm Up of the Engine Underhood areas:

Last edited:
Reactions: JerryIrons

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online