Code P0306 (Cylinder 6 Misfire Detected)

pmsmith2032

Original poster
Jan 6, 2014
Chicago
My daughter's 2005 Envoy (145k miles) had the check engine light come on a couple of days ago (very cold out......around 5 degrees). It is idling kind of rough and the check engine starts flashing when I get it above 30 MPH. I took it to the auto part store and they ran a diagnostic and it is showing code P0306 (Cylinder 6 Misfire Detected). Is my first step to replace the spark plugs (it's been over 50k since they have been replaced)? Thanks!

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Firstly I'd pull the coil and make sure there isn't any watery crap in the well. Then swap the coil pack to another location (say switch coils 5 and 6), clear codes, and see if the misfire follows the coil to the new cylinder or not.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Agree with above and FYI--if you used stock plugs they are good for 100K

pmsmith2032

Original poster
Jan 6, 2014
Chicago
Thanks! I swapped the ignition coil as suggested and now it is showing a misfire for cylinder 2 (the cylinder I swapped with). What is a good brand to buy for a replacement? Delphi, Denso, ACDelco? I believe the factory ones said "Delphi".

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I think any of those would work. Delphi is original and ACDelco is just Delphi in the box according to pics on RA. Don't know about Denso but looks like a Delphi. Had bad luck with a Standard Motor Products not lasting long. I'd say get Delphi as it seems to be the cheapest of the three.

Reactions: Eric04

Eric04

Dec 3, 2014
West Michigan
Standard seems to be another of those brands that used to be good. When a coil puked on me this summer I went with the best deal I could find on an AC Delco. No issues. I did buy an internet cheapie from a seller that I've had good luck with but just to have as a spare.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
The Denso would be fine, but I'd likely just go with Delphi and be done with it. OEM ones seem to last a long time, so, may as well!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online