Clutch - Pump Replacement

NelliM60

Original poster
May 9, 2016
Atlantic City, New Jersey
I have an '04 Chevy TrailBlazer 4.2L I6 with over 128,000 miles. The fan clutch and blades have completely seized and water pump is worn and loose in its housing. Coolant leaked out and spritz everywhere in the hood and serpentine belt slips every time I tapped the accelerator. So I just don't drive or even turn on the engine. I'm financially strapped. Mechanic says it will cost $670 to replace pump and clutch, so I've decided to do it myself. It will be my first but I'm confident that I can do it. The fan clutch costs the most for an American product. I saw a few new products made in Korea that costs under $70. Do you think it would do no harm or should I wait until I have the funds to buy the expensive AC Delco fan clutch and water pump? It's been over a month since I've driven my TB and I'm afraid the elements will cause her to have more unwanted problems if I don't get her back on the road soon enough.
Thanks.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Hello and welcome to the Nation. :tiphat:

It's not worth going with and off brand on the fan clutch. Your better off at a pick-a-part/junk yard find. As for the pump I'd dish out for a new ac delco.

The hardest part of job your doing is trying to get the clutch fan of the pump. BUT since there both shoot you might not have to. Just pull off the front upper crossmember and take the bolts off the pump and you should clear to get everything out in one shoot. I had to do exactly this my first time around. It was just to seazed up to get the clutch of the pump pulley.

You should get more answer shortly from other members if there is something I missed or didn't get right.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Buy whatever you can afford. They are known fail items and should be swapped together typically. I never bother with delco parts, but many do. It is not a bad job if you do a bit of research and take your time.

NelliM60

Original poster
May 9, 2016
Atlantic City, New Jersey
Hello and welcome to the Nation. :tiphat:

It's not worth going with and off brand on the fan clutch. Your better off at a pick-a-part/junk yard find. As for the pump I'd dish out for a new ac delco.

The hardest part of job your doing is trying to get the clutch fan of the pump. BUT since there both shoot you might not have to. Just pull off the front upper crossmember and take the bolts off the pump and you should clear to get everything out in one shoot. I had to do exactly this my first time around. It was just to seazed up to get the clutch of the pump pulley.

You should get more answer shortly from other members if there is something I missed or didn't get right.
Thanks, I saw that Autozone sells a combo pack that features both clutch and pump as one unit but sold by their own product Duramax. Also is the crossmember the black bar at the top of the hood well with the radiator pipe sitting on it?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Hayden is the favourite brand here for fan clutches. There's also Dorman but are not renowned for anything electrical but some have had luck with them, and others, early failures. ACDelco is overpriced.

I wouldn't bother with used unless it looks like it was replaced just before the truck was junked.

IIRC, you have no choice separating the clutch from the pump since the fan has to be unbolted from the clutch.

Reactions: Tiggerr

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.