Cluster issue?

Stuntmanmike77

Original poster
May 6, 2018
Sanford, ME
Hey, back with another issue. After 4 attempts getting my gas tank leak fixed, they finally put in a brand new tank in along with the new pump/sending unit they removed and replaced 3 times already the fuel gauge is busted so i went by the miles to go display. When full it used to read around 250ish miles. It's recently been going up and down but after the new tank install it read 342 miles to go! Way too high I think and it's not an ext. Any thoughts on this? Do I need to replace the cluster or try a battery disconnect to reset it?

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
What has the actual gauge been reading?

If it's been wonky as well, there's your problem. The DIC can only calculate mpg/miles till empty by computing distance and fuel level consumption over time. Sounds like the old sender was junk and now the new one is reading correctly.

Coincidentally, the physical gauge could still be out via dead stepper motor and the miles till empty would still act the same after the in tank sender was fixed.

Stuntmanmike77

Original poster
May 6, 2018
Sanford, ME
Yeah, it's been acting funny. They replaced the fuel pump assy. about 3 months ago, that's how the whole thing started because when they did they cracked the fill tube/valve on the tank. Been reading pretty accurate after they put it in. It got worse and worse over time but, has never read that high. Just weird after putting in a new tank. Was asking because I just wanted to know if there could be another issue before I spend the money on a reman cluster assy. Thank you.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Sounds like its time to get those stepper motors fixed!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online