Clunking noise and getting oriented.

coolride

Original poster
Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
I'm tracking down a clunking noise and it sounds like it's originating from under this pan. Is this the drain pain and what does 4L and that symbol mean?
tb17.JPG

coolride

Original poster
Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
Also, on the driver's side of the pan (and just ahead of the transmission bell housing) is a good sized hole next to a smaller threaded hole. What is this and is something missing from here?
tb18.JPG

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
All those look like the oil pan. That large hole may be to access the rear pan to block bolt. There should be another one just like it on the other side. No idea what the 4L is for.

A bit of trivia: those threaded holes are to help remove the oil pan to break the seal.

coolride

Original poster
Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
Ok cool, that explains the small hole with threads.

I guess that logo is a stylized T c (just noticed that now.)

Last edited:

coolride

Original poster
Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
I just ran to Walmart and picked up oil and a new filter. The level reads high up on the dip stick (above the bulb and into the cable.) Maybe the noise I hear is the crank hitting the oil.

It's a long shot I know. But it's due for a change anyway.

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
Is there a procedure for dropping the oil pan and checking the rod bearings?
You'll have to pull the cv axles and the differential to remove the oil pan.

Here's the procedure from Autozone: Oil Pan removal

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Somebody just did this and even replaced the bearings. My Google-fu is failing because I can't find it but it's fairly recent.

Reactions: coolride

coolride

Original poster
Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
Looking for evidence of bearing damage:

I used tin snips to open the oil filter and nothing in the element looks obviously metallic. The plan right now is; let it drain for awhile.
tb19.JPG

Last edited:

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
This may be the thread Mooseman was.looking for

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
I was in your position and just wanting to check the bearings. Instead of taking hours removing all of those components. I would buy a borescope from somewhere or rent one if you can. Just make sure that you buy/rent one that is 1080p.

720p will NOT cut it in low light. Oh, also make sure it emits a bright light. You may not get the view of the bearings you want but, you'd have a decent idea of their condition and you already pulled the drain plug.

Theory: You might also be able to get a long mic up there and have someone turn the engine over either with the pedal fully depressed or with the fuel pump relay pulled and fuel lines depressurized. You might be able to tell if it is truly the bearings making the noise.

Reactions: coolride and BrianF

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
This may be the thread Mooseman was.looking for

That wasn't the one but it's still good. The one I'm thinking about he actually replaced the bearings and reported a little less noise from the bottom end.

What kind of "clunking" are you hearing? A rod knock would be a "knock" and very rhythmic and go with the engine speed. Have you tried removing the belt and running the engine to eliminate anything belt driven? If the engine seems OK and it's nothing belt driven, there is a possibility that the flexplate bolts are loose or the flexplate itself is broken. It has happened.

coolride

Original poster
Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
The noise comes and goes. I've been all over the front accessories and the top end with a stethoscope and everything sounds perfect. When the noise starts, the spot right at the middle back of the oil pan is the closest I can get to the source.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'd get a boroscope and look into the bellhousing to check the flexplate.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
That wasn't the one but it's still good. The one I'm thinking about he actually replaced the bearings and reported a little less noise from the bottom end.

:undecided: You thinking of this thread?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yes, that's the one!

@coolride , what's the rhythm of the noise like? Regular? Irregular? A recording might help us.

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Also, a way to check bearing health is a used oil analysis. Trashed bearings will shed tin/lead (whatever the make up metal is) and will show very high numbers.

Can try a stethoscope to try and isolate the sound.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
There's a metal plug at the bottom of the bellhousing. Take it off and snake your boroscope to get a look at the flexplate.

Reactions: coolride

coolride

Original poster
Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
The video above:

The guy turns his engine over with a breaker bar. What would happen if I turned the engine over by bumping the starter? The throttle body and many other electrical harness connections are disconnected. Would this mess up the computer real bad?

And, if I have to use a breaker bar on the crank; Anyone do this before? I'm not looking forward to removing the fan and clutch.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I'm not looking forward to removing the fan and clutch.

Depending on what all tools/supplies you have at your disposal, doing this might not as bad as you think. A number of options have been posted in @Matt's water pump replacement thread.

Reactions: Matt and Mooseman

coolride

Original poster
Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
I put a pipe wrench on the fan clutch bolt and the engine turned over with no trouble. The serpentine belt turned the crank.

I'm following the approach from the video above, but instead of using a screwdriver to push down on the piston, I'm using a dowel. With a long piece of wood as a lever and a block as a fulcrum, I mashed down hard on the dowel. And the dowel snapped.

Will try again tomorrow. Here's the piston as it's started down from TDC.
tb42.JPG

coolride

Original poster
Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
I'll make another "push dowel" today after church. My father has a belt sander on his bench. Unsanded, the dowel is too big to fit through the spark plug hole.
tb47spark.JPG

coolride

Original poster
Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
After some wood working, I decided to use this aluminum rod (old piece of a sailboat.) I mashed down on cylinders 5 and 6 and could not get them to budge. Everything was reassembled and I let the truck idle for a few minutes. Lot's of work for nothing it seems, but at least everything was cleaned and inspected.
tb48spark.JPG

coolride

Original poster
Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
Notch the cowl to clear the radiator neck, but I didn't need to remove it after all (the crank spun by turning the fan clutch nut.) Had though I'd have to make room to get a socket onto the crank snout. Tools used: drill, hack-saw blade, and a cut-off wheel on a Dremel.
tb49rad.JPG

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online