Clunk when turning from right to left

seanpooh

Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
Hello all, I currently have a 2002 Envoy XL at 145K miles. I have noticed a new noise in the abyss of the front end. When driving down the road and making a left turn or making a u-turn in a clockwise rotation there is a clunk I believe from the driver side. And I can get it when I'm in the middle of a two lane road, turn slightly to the right to get into the right lane then turn left to veer into the left lane the clunk can be heard.

I feel that the body roll is causing this clunk. It can be felt in the steering wheel.

I currently have Supsensionmaxx end links which were installed last year March.
Bilestien shocks were installed at 90K miles.
Driver side wheel hub assembly was replaced this year with Moog (after the Raybestos brand failed in less than 50K miles) and the passenger side last March.
All balljoints were replaced with Moogs last year April.
Upper control arm bushing, lower control arm bracket, CV joints and passenger outer tierod were replaced this May.
Driver outer and inner tie rod changed out sometime last year (less than 50K miles).

Do you guys feel that the end links are causing the clank? I mean they use bushing and shouldn't make a shifting clank noise. I sprayed white lithium grease at every bushing but the clank is still there.
Or it could be caused by a damaged bearing in the front diff. I would just like some inputs.

davenay67

Jan 16, 2012
Sounds like you have quite a few new(ish) components on there. If it were me, I would check that the sway bar links are tightly fastened, as a loose nut can also make them clunk and clank. Another thing to check might be the condition of the steering tie rods.

seanpooh

Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
Went underneath today and shook everything. Made sure every nut and bolt were torqued down. I'm down to replacing the sway bar link or the bearing in the front diff are shot causing the CV joints to rattle up and down. But I'll stick with the cheaper option.

I did call suspensionmaxx and talked to a tech. I told him my front bushings were worn and I needed new ones. He replied that he would give me a good deal on a set. If I have to pay for a new set, I think I'll be better off with a set from Dezza with the sealed rubber boot. I told the smaxx rep that I'll call him tomorrow with the CC#.

I'll keep you guys updated.

seanpooh

Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
No, no vibrations at high speeds. I ordered the repair kit for the suspensionmaxx links. Also will get a wheel alignment at the dealership so I'll tell them to take a look and shake things around.

mika

Dec 6, 2011
did you check the upper balljoints, also the top plates.

seanpooh

Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
All my balljoints are greased at least once a month. I don't want to go through the hell of pressing any of them out and in again.

As for top plates, you're talking about those plates that go atop the shocks mounting?

Decembersend

Dec 3, 2011
Are you sure the noise is coming from upfront?

I had a clunk when veering from left to right and it sound like it was coming from upfront, it also happened when I went over speed bumps as well. So we had a mini meet down here and I brought it up to see if they could help me diagnose it, well we discovered it was coming from the rear and were able to here it while shaking the truck from side to side. Jimmy and I were underneath it listening for the clunk while Carlton was shaking it. Anyways in the end in turned out the panhard bar was loose (possibly from when we did an rear diff swap). Just my 2cents (what happened to the 2cents smiley :frown:)

seanpooh

Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
I believe it's from the front driver side because I can hear it when my window is down. I do have a rattle in the back too, I will take a look see there too though just to be sure.

seanpooh

Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
Alright, so I got the new bushings from Supsensionmaxx. They are great with their customer service. Got the rebuild kit for $25 shipped. I swapped the old out with the new and no more clunking! I appreciate all your guys suggestions and help.

DenaliHD66

Dec 4, 2011
Have had a similar problem with the clunking, still haven't been able to figure it out either. One person mentioned the panhand bar in the rear of the truck? I too have a front driver/passenger noise, and something coming from the rear. I'm one of the rare people with an XL that has Bilstein shocks at all 4's, and Hotchkiss sway bar. Really have no idea what else to check. I can't wait until I can buy a real truck, and not have all these little suspension and frame problems I keep having with this truck.

seanpooh

Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
Yeah, check the front sway bar links. They're always a culprit if they have been there too long. I too also have a rattle in the rear. Things to check are again, sway bar links, sway bar link bushings, shocks and pan hard bar. Just check everything that moves up and down. I spend too much time under the truck than driving it. :rotfl:

DenaliHD66

Dec 4, 2011
seanpooh said:
Yeah, check the front sway bar links. They're always a culprit if they have been there too long. I too also have a rattle in the rear. Things to check are again, sway bar links, sway bar link bushings, shocks and pan hard bar. Just check everything that moves up and down. I spend too much time under the truck than driving it. :rotfl:

Checked and replaced all sway bar links twice. Has new sway bar bushings, which were put on with new rear sway bar, so no way they are the culprit, unless they are too small somehow? What is the pan hard bar? I wanna say its the bar in the rear for the coil springs that keeps the axle from moving back and forth.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
DenaliHD66 said:
What is the pan hard bar? I wanna say its the bar in the rear for the coil springs that keeps the axle from moving back and forth.
:thumbsup: :yes:

DenaliHD66

Dec 4, 2011
Since the sway bar/suspension doesn't always have to flex in order to produce the clunk, I'm starting to think it might be the control arm bushings or something. Next service, I'm going to have them remove the entire front sway bar assembly and I'll drive around without it for a while and see if the noise goes away or not. Anyone else drive around with the front sway bar taken off and the rear one still on?

davenay67

Jan 16, 2012
The effects of the sway bar are fairly marginal. You will be OK to drive around for a while without it, so long as you don't dive into corners like you're qualifying for the Indy 500.

The whole sway bar can be removed easily in about 10 minutes. It's such an easy job to remove and reinstall.

I too have a clunk that I cannot tell exactly where it's coming from. I suspect my new-ish sway bar links might be toast, so I will also be driving without the front sway bar for just long enough to confirm / eliminate the sway bar links as the source of the noise. After that, my money is then actually on worn bushings from either the upper or lower control arms.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online

No members online now.