SOLVED! Clock Spring centering?

Expeditor

Original poster
Nov 19, 2018
Nashville
Hello to the GMTNation. I need help centering my clock spring without taking off steering wheel if at all possible. Here is what I mean, I had a rod knock which required engine removal. As I was taking out the old engine I did not pay attention to where the wheels where facing as I took off the steering rack. Once I took off the steering rack I am pretty sure I have turned the wheels while the steering wheel stayed straight, or didn't move as I move the wheels. I am pretty sure the wheels and steering are not centered, meaning when the wheels are straight ahead the clock spring should be centered.

Is there a way to center the clock spring, without removing steering wheel, and then I can center wheels before I marry the steering shaft to the rack? Thanks for all the help on this site.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Without knowing how harshly any unintended steering wheel rotations were... nor how many times it may have been spun around... it would be impossible to know the condition and surviveablity of the components within the Clock-Spring Unit without first performing the tedium of removing the Steering Wheel and then attending to the careful isolation of the Dangerous Air-Bag.

This video follows the VOP when he is trying to UNFUBAR his Clock-Spring Mechanism inside of a GMT400 Vehicle...which may offer some more insight into what needs doing if his hardware is very close in design to your own:

Reactions: Expeditor

Expeditor

Original poster
Nov 19, 2018
Nashville
MRSRM, thank you so much for the reply. I know for a fact that the steering wheel never was over turned. The tires were turned while the vesicle was on stands and steering wheel still attached, to get the rack off. When the rack was being taking off, I didn't notice where the wheels were pointing, so if the wheels were pointing to the left or to the right if I place the steering wheel straight, with the clock in its center position, I will damage it, hope that makes sense. I thought there might be a way to center the clock spring without taking the steering wheel off. I don't know if its possible to move the steering wheel ever so gently, without the rack attached, to one side or the other and then say go in the opposite direction 3 turns. I believe I read somewhere were the clock spring allows the steering wheel to turn , from center 3 turns to the right and three turns to the left, from center, that will be 6 turns from end to end. I'm just afraid that turning the steering wheel, even gently, could cause the clock spring to brake as you have so much leverage with the steering wheel. Thanks so much.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Ordinarily... When dealing with this arcane problem... the Odd Mechanic or Two that has to work on performing such rare fixes... prior to cracking the Security Bolt loose from the Lower Steering Column.. they'll first align the steering wheel as close to 'DBOS' (Dead Balls On Straight) ... and then they fixate the Steering Wheel with everything from using Basic Vehicle Anti-Theft Locks that Hook up from under the Brake Pedal Armature and then over the Steering Wheel... to using elaborate combinations of "Bungee Cords and Two By Fours" to do the job with a length of the board sticking out of both the Driver and Passenger side Door Window sills as "The Brace".

All of that speaks to the central theme of preventing the dilemma you now face from happening. But in general... Who would ever consider having to do such things? The main thing now is for you to scour Youtube and observe how ever many Instructional Videos you can Find and Download covering ANY GM Vehicles similar to yours and view often enough to become familiar with the whole procedure.

Have you Downloaded a Complete GM OEM Digital Service Manual for your Vehicle Yet? Visit any Thread or Post made by @Mooseman ...and follow the link to the instructions in his 'Signature Line' to obtain the right one. Most of the Secrets of the Safest manner to do this job from Start to Finish are hidden inside of those Cool Repair Resources.

One more suggestion... Purchase a Brand New Clock-Spring Mechanism prior to opening things up in the Cab... At this point ... you must assume the In-Dwelling Mechanism ...is "T*ts-Up". Installing an unquestionably reliable New Component will eliminate any further worries.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I do not know if you'll be able to feel the end of the rotation of the clock spring / cable reel with the wheel still on. Even just holding it by itself there is not a ton of feedback when you hit the end of rotation.

Reactions: mrrsm and Expeditor

Expeditor

Original poster
Nov 19, 2018
Nashville
I do not know if you'll be able to feel the end of the rotation of the clock spring / cable reel with the wheel still on. Even just holding it by itself there is not a ton of feedback when you hit the end of rotation.

Thank you, that is exactly what I was thinking also. I will just take the steering wheel off and see if mine has the window or something that tell me when its center. Thanks again..

Reactions: mrrsm

Expeditor

Original poster
Nov 19, 2018
Nashville
Thanks to all the responds, this is solved, fixed. For all that come after me with the same problem or similar problem. Removed air bag, only after making making sure you're life insurance is paid to date and saying your goodbyes to the family, just kidding. Removed steering wheel, removed retainer clip for clock spring, unmounted clock spring from shaft, did not remove wiring harness, turned clock spring in clockwise direction to end then turned counter clockwise 2 1/2 turns. On my application clock spring only goes in one way, must be align with horn button. Now when I am ready to attach steering rack I just have to align wheels straight ahead and I should be good to go.

How do I mark this solved? or are moderators the only ones that can do that? If so please mark solved. Thanks again.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online