Clicking noise

burg99

Original poster
Dec 23, 2012
I have a clicking noise coming from what sounds like the drivers side front wheel area. The kicker is I only hear it in reverse. I had to change the torque converter so I thought maybe it was a cracked flexplate put in knew one but, noise still remains. I proceed to remove the front drive shaft and the noise still remains. I had a leaking CV axle on that side so I replaced it also. Noise still remains. While I was doing the CV axle I removed the front caliper and spun the wheel bearing and the noise still remains. I have checked the front axle actuator and it is functioning as it should and I can hear the transfer case also kicking in and out. I am at a loss of what to do next. I’m thinking maybe a bad wheel bearing but, I have never heard of one making a clicking noise only in reverse. Any ideas would be great maybe it’s not coming from the front end?

burg99

Original poster
Dec 23, 2012
I have a clicking noise coming from what sounds like the drivers side front wheel area. The kicker is I only hear it in reverse. I had to change the torque converter so I thought maybe it was a cracked flexplate put in knew one but, noise still remains. I proceed to remove the front drive shaft and the noise still remains. I had a leaking CV axle on that side so I replaced it also. Noise still remains. While I was doing the CV axle I removed the front caliper and spun the wheel bearing and the noise still remains. I have checked the front axle actuator and it is functioning as it should and I can hear the transfer case also kicking in and out. I am at a loss of what to do next. I’m thinking maybe a bad wheel bearing but, I have never heard of one making a clicking noise only in reverse. Any ideas would be great maybe it’s not coming from the front end?
This is on a 2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71

azswiss

May 23, 2021
Tempe, AZ
When you say this happens only in reverse, do you have to be moving or just have the trans in reverse?

Would it be possible to record the sound and post back here?

burg99

Original poster
Dec 23, 2012
I have to be moving in reverse. It sounds pretty close to this:

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Raise and support the vehicle. Shift into 4Hi to get the front axles locked by the disconnect. Rotate the front wheels in reverse and see if the noise is there. (This might also work in A4WD with just the front raised?)

My thoughts run toward something inside the front differential. When you were replacing the drivers side CV axle you spun the drivers side but with the front axles unlocked that only turned the spider gears. If there is something amiss with the ring gear/spider gears/pinion the only way to replicate that to pin down where the noise is would be to rotate the entire front drive in the same conditions as when it is in motion, no?

Someone shoot me down.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Did you check the front diff fluid? If it sounds like in the video, I'd be thinking it's running dry and the gears were damaged. I'd also be suspicious of the disconnect since you say you removed the front shaft and it still did the noise.

I'd also jack up all 4 wheels on jack stands and spin stuff by hand. If that doesn't make the noise, try is running in 2wd in forward and reverse, then in 4hi. There's also a possibility it's the transfer case. Check its fluid too and it should be changed if older than 50k miles.

Last edited:
Reactions: azswiss

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
:crackup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online