Clicking in dash and good price for catalytic converter for 5.3

Cannsminivoy

Original poster
Jun 6, 2012
This is my first Visit and post to GMT. Yes a freshmen, newbie, rookie and all of the above. lol Well to the problems at hand. I have a annoying clicking coming from my dash somewhere behind instruments cluster or around steering column. Cant tell where exactly because it happens so fast at unexpected moments that i can't listen for it. I have a dash light on its for code po420 I think it was. I was told I need a new cat. And that leads to my second question... I need a good price and place to buy one that beats the dealers $700. I've seen roughly around $450 to $600. Some with shipping included and some not. With and without warranty. But my biggest fear is buying one that doesn't fit up right. I have a 05 Envoy Denali with the 5.3. Has anyone replaced this and had no problems? Let me know please ASAP my inspection is past due and my sons have a cub scout trip coming up and my lil mitsucrapshi isn't going to cut it for a 2 hour ride with no room for gear or the kids. Thanks in advance for all the help you offer up.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Welcome! This is the happening place.

I don't know about cats except in CA we MUST use approved CATS, but for other states there are $250-300 cats that can be welded in.

The clicking may be a gauge stepper motor, or it may be an HVAC control actuator going bad or breaking a gear tooth. Can you describe if it's a once per second clicking or faster like a machine gun? How many clicks before it stops? How long between clicking episodes? Have you done anything lately like replace the battery or discharge it totally so it needed a charge?

bleu7

Mar 27, 2012
Cannsminivoy said:
..... I need a good price and place to buy one that beats the dealers $700. I've seen roughly around $450 to $600. Some with shipping included and some not. With and without warranty. But my biggest fear is buying one that doesn't fit up right. I have a 05 Envoy Denali with the 5.3. Has anyone replaced this and had no problems? Let me know please ASAP my inspection is past due and my sons have a cub scout trip coming up and my lil mitsucrapshi isn't going to cut it for a 2 hour ride with no room for gear or the kids. Thanks in advance for all the help you offer up.

idk how the community feels about this but
I use Advance Auto Parts for most of my auto parts....google advance auto parts coupons and youll save on average 30% of the price!

Sometimes even 40% let me know if you need help.

UPDATE::: sorry searched and they only have Universal Magnaflow cat converters for your vehicle.

dingle

May 26, 2012
A couple months ago I bought a cat for my 96 accord at advance auto. I paid 150 out the door and it was a bolt in replacement. No welding needed. It was a magnaflow. A friend of mine that works at a Honda dealership told me that's where they go and get them.

strat81

Dec 29, 2011
bleu7 said:
idk how the community feels about this but
I use Advance Auto Parts for most of my auto parts....google advance auto parts coupons and youll save on average 30% of the price!

Sometimes even 40% let me know if you need help.

Be sure to check RockAuto.com and Amazon.com for parts too. I frequently find better prices with them. Amazon Prime members get parts overnight for $4 shipping.

OP - You should find out why the catalytic converter went bad. They often last the life of the vehicle. Check your oil - if it's low, it might be getting blown out the exhaust, contaminating the catalyst. Do you notice any smoke out of the tailpipe? If so, what color?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher