Cleaning the brake reservoir?

zaid3ssaf

Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Midwest
Is there a way to take off and clean the brake fluid reservoir without having to buy a new master cylinder? My reservoir is covered with green deposits which turns my new fluid green after a month or so. I assume once these pins are removed, the reservoir would come out but can't figure how to get them out with the master cylinder installed.

1622324545170.png

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
they appear to be just roll pins. They are squeezed with pliers and turned / pulled at the same time as they are "seated" into the cast body.... kind of like "spring loaded" on a small scale. If you compress them too much, they can ready be replaced from a hardware fastener store. As for cleaning, do know how or if you can get it as clean as the picture that you posted.

Reactions: zaid3ssaf

zaid3ssaf

Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Midwest
I'm not sure I can get it as clean as the picture. I'm planning to spray it with brake clean and clean it with a brush from the two holes at the bottom

Found this in LS1tech forum

"Yeah, it's super simple/easy...just a bit of a PITA..

1. get a turkey baster that you'll never re-use for food( pretty obvious, I know), and use the baster to suck out the fluid in the reservoir.

2. there are 2 roll pins that need to be knocked out to get the reservoir off. I pounded mine out towards the engine, it gives you more room to get them back in. Use a long screwdriver on the roll pin in the back. hit it till its flush with the master, that should push it out of the other side enough to pull it out with pliers. the front roll pin is easy.

3. after the roll-pins are out, you'll need to lightly pry up the reservoir to unseat the o-rings. Make sure you put a few rags under the master and atop the fender to catch any brake fluid that may splash.

4. To install the new reservoir, I recommend 2 things:
1.after installing the new o-rings on the reservoir,wipe the new o-rings down with brake fluid before you seat the new reservoir.
2. Use a short nail, or short punch(something with a point, the point should fit inside the roll-pins), to re-install the roll pins from the engine side.

Refill the reservoir, then pump the brakes a few times, and re-check the fluid levels"

Last edited:

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
I removed the roll pins by pushing them out with a piece of a nail pressing it with channellocks.
That was a real PITA to do but it works.
The rear chamber can be cleaned with a toilet brush and some other small brushes. Use a strong detergent while brushing. The front chamber of the reservoir is almost inaccessible. Soak it in a strong detergent for a few hours and then agitate it and rinse with a strong stream of water. Of course, put the reservoir out in the sun for a few hours to be sure it's completely dry.
No need to reuse the roll pins. I used steel wire and twisted the ends together. Makes it easy to remove next time. I did not change the o rings.
Reservoir now looks like new.

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.