Cleaned Throttle Body, P0014 pops up

fletch09

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
09 TB 4.2 149,200 MI
last Sunday cleaned the throttle body, and K&N air filter. probably had been close to 50K since last cleaning of both. had battery disconnected at least 40-45 min. while cleaning throt. body. drove it about 50 mi and CEL comes on. code that came up was P0014. Exhaust cam shaft pos. sensor. Disconnected d battery again for 30+ min.
again at about 50mi of driving, CEL on again, same P0014.
is this a common problem? will it hurt engine to drive for a while until i can change the sensor? i drive 72 mi round trip M-F.
thanks in advance.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Could be a dirty or defective CPAS. It was probably just a coincidence. Check for oil in its connector. For the trouble of getting to it, I'd just replace it. Get ACDelco or Delphi only.

Reactions: Mounce

Machoman

Mar 10, 2014
I seem to have a P0014 code 50% of the year. It doesn't matter what I do. I have learned to live with it.

Reactions: Pygot

fletch09

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Could be a dirty or defective CPAS. It was probably just a coincidence. Check for oil in its connector. For the trouble of getting to it, I'd just replace it. Get ACDelco or Delphi only.

that was my plan to replace it but having trouble finding part # for it @ Rock Auto or Advance Auto, any help with that would be appreciated.
will check CPAS also.

CEL went away after about 200 mi and 10-15 start stops of engine. from tues morn to this morning

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Every time I get that code I find that my oil is really close to an oil change. Since mine started its life as a rental and does not have the oil life indicator... I just use that to let me know I should be changing the oil. Since I switch to synthetic oil and it isn't my daily driver, my wife drives it, it help me.

fletch09

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Every time I get that code I find that my oil is really close to an oil change. Since mine started its life as a rental and does not have the oil life indicator... I just use that to let me know I should be changing the oil. Since I switch to synthetic oil and it isn't my daily driver, my wife drives it, it help me.

it is due for and oil change, and transfer case fluid change. like i said the CEL has gone off. so i guess it's wait and see after oil change if it comes back any time soon.

fletch09

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
CEL came back on, then off again after 10-15 start/ stop of engine, then back on again after about 50 mi.
changed oil, VVT & CPAS, had code(s) cleared. will find out if the CEL comes back. if it's going to come back at the frequency it did this past week, should be somewhere in my drive to work tomorrow.( About 50 Mi)
VVT & CPAS after 149,500+ mi
VVT SIDE.jpgVVT END.jpgCPAS.jpg

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Looks like they needed changed

Reactions: fletch09

fletch09

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Replacing that VVT with a quality new one should take care of your CEL for 25,000 miles or so
Did replace it with AC Delco. and that was the original one, lasted 149K
so the new oneshould last more than 25k.

stvrob

May 28, 2014
On my '06 I had that code persistently until I unclogged the crankcase ventilation orifice. Do you have gunk up in the air plenum? Do you need to clean your throttle body all the time?

Reactions: JerryIrons

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Re: Post #9... The "Coffee Grounds" looking stuff on the CPAS and CPS Units is Carbon Flakes and Residue left from High Mileage Ring Wear allowing Incomplete Combustion Gas Blow-By to occur. This is the material that has finally built up and thickened enough to vibrate loose or peel off of the Upper Engine Head and Lower Crankcase Walls and can contribute to having a partially plugged up Oil Pick-Up Tube.

Recently @Mooseman suggested that when things get that bad... Run some Cheap Organic Motor Oil (6 Quarts) + One Quart of either ATF or Gunk Motor Flush along with using a Cheap Oil Filter and then idling the Engine for around 10 minutes.

Doing so could help to clean out the presence of that stuff and based upon what can be seen in your photos, that's the Junk that will eventually cover the screens of the CPAS Unit all over again. Once this procedure is finished... Draining the Engine right afterwards and Installing a HQ Oil Filter + Refreshing the Crankcase with (7) Quarts of a HQ Full Synthetic 5W-30 Motor Oil will help stave off the return of the P0014 Code. Just my :twocents: ...

Last edited:

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Also need to factor the close tolerances of the exhaust cam phaser itself. What oil are you using @fletch09 ?

Oil catch can? I had an issue with one of those...overlook on my part.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
My code came back so I ordered one up as well. I realized it has been 90K miles since I had to do, so I do not mind really.

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
Glad I'm not the only one with a P0014 code that haunts them. I've changed all the easy stuff, a delphi vvt as well, and thought about getting into the oil pump/screen areas, but after hearing how much fun those jobs are decided to wait...I think I remember a comment about rather burning the vehicle down with fire than attempt that again. Mine comes and goes, oddly enough something about my wife's driving technique brings it on, but no matter how tactful I am asking questions regarding this I can't get any good technical info from her :smile:

It generally appears as the oil gets old, but not always, it can be completely random and comes and goes, but always goes away after an oil change. I have to time my oil changes right before annual inspection so I don't fail. Seems to run fine though, and 285,000 miles I can't complain. I will look into that crankcase ventilation orifice, didn't know about that, thank you for the tip.

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
@JerryIrons Do you synthetic or conventional oil also, what brand oil filter do you use? I would stay away from Fram filters. From my research, Wix and Mobile 1 seem to be well made filters.

I don't know how I feel about Mobile 1's "new" Annual oil and filters. I'll wait a few years before I try the oil and filter to gamble for 1 year on my engine/oil.

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
@JerryIrons Do you synthetic or conventional oil also, what brand oil filter do you use? I would stay away from Fram filters. From my research, Wix and Mobile 1 seem to be well made filters.

I don't know how I feel about Mobile 1's "new" Annual oil and filters. I'll wait a few years before I try the oil and filter to gamble for 1 year on my engine/oil.

I use wix filters as well, fram has a pretty bad reputation. The oil I use now is actually conventional dino oil from walmart. I used napa oil for years, then switched to napa full synthetic, but it just seemed to consume more oil that way, so I went back to dino. If Napa sold conventional oil I would buy it from them but the local one here doesn't. Pretty sure napa gold filters are also wix, but my local napa is so aggravating with lack of parts in stock that when they ran out of friggin oil filters I just threw my hands up and ordered a batch from rockauto. I try to keep business local but not having oil filters in stock just is crazy.

I can't imagine going a year between oil changes, I would be paranoid of dropping down too low! I agree with you, let others be the pioneers and take the arrows on the yearly oil. I've had mine tested from blackstone a couple of times just to see how things look.

Reactions: Maverick6587

stvrob

May 28, 2014
How would one clean crankcase ventilation orifice? Blow air into it?
I was able to disconnect the tube and attach a length of pvc onto it. Then I poured sea foam into the tube verifying that it was actually clogged. Eventually I had to clear the clog with air. It only took about 15 psi to clear it. 'Im not sure if the sea foam loosened it up or not. In any case, since doing so, the throttle body doesnt need to be cleaned all the time, the p00014 code hasnt returned, and the little filter screen on the camshaft actuator has remained clean.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online