Clean Eating

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Been wanting to get healthier and have started a new thing. Not a diet, but Clean Eating.

What it basically is....

Eat five to six times a day
Drink at least two liters of water a day
Check labels. Clean foods contain just one or two ingredients.
Avoid processed and refined foods. No sugar or white flour.
Smaller portion sizes.
Slow down eating.
Realize food is fuel

Been a week and it has me feeling better. Cut out all fast food(until I learn what what is OK). Cut out all soda/pop. That sucked cause I had a 6 pack or more a day habit. Drinking 180-240 OZ of water a day. Been eating tons of fresh veggies. Brown rice and lean meat make stir-fry the new standard meal.

I been looking up recipes and trying different things, but I know I want to keep with this. I hate diet, but this is more of a lifestyle. I know I will slam some mac-n-cheese and gravy and the like at holidays, but that is part of this I like. Its about a better life and better feeling.

Anyone else do this kinda thing?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I've been sorta doing this for the last couple of years. Going to the gym and working out just isn't in my DNA anymore. So other than basketball every once in a while, I don't get much exercise, so I have to eat 'better'. I'm usually pretty good at keeping away from sugar and soft drinks, outside of when we go to a sports bar to watch the fights or a game.

Portion control I think was one of the biggest factors in me dropping some pounds. I used to eat until I was full and couldn't eat much more, but now I'm better at putting less on my plate, especially if I'm going to be a couch potato all day (weekends) Snacks consist of lightly salted almonds or peanuts (can't do the unsalted ones :puke:) or fruit, and usually have 2 meals a day, 3 on weekends when I have breakfast.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
I always ate the 2 meals, but do find eating more often...I do not mind not being "full" after a meal. Helps a lot with doing the smaller portions I think.

We joined the YMCA and have been swimming once and plan to do more of that, but really need to hit some weights. I loved lifting in HS but have not at all since college.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Ditto, I used to lift back in college too, mainly because we used to play ball for hours on end, all day on weekends, and I needed the extra muscle to deal with guys who were bigger than me. I'd like to get back into it, if I could get motivated, which hasn't been easy. I tried that P90X program about 4 years ago, and that worked decently well. Probably would have given better results if I had a diet plan to go with it.

I almost exclusively drink water now. I have my 32oz Camelbak at my desk, and usually drink 1.5 worth during my shift. At home I have some OJ and cran-lemonade in the fridge, usually to go with my vodka on the rare occasions I want to have a drink at the crib. I remember how much it sucked when I first made that change, but after a couple of weeks, it wasn't a big deal (until I had company over, and not many options to choose from for liquid refreshments) :blush: Now I keep a couple bottles of Mio handy, just for a change of pace.

May 5, 2013
I'm doing something similar, only the opposite! Lots of fried food and salt, gonna try and stay away from veggies all together. (I do like onion rings tho, they're a vegetable right?).

Kind of a go hard and burn out fast approach to life bahahahah!

Good luck with your Guyiets dudes!

CaptainKD

Jan 13, 2012
It's been all about changing my routine and preventing myself from making bad decisions. I've found that I have low will power and will choose unhealthy food all the time if it's an option.

Some things I have done to help myself make good decisions are:
-Have the fridge is stocked with bottles of water all the time. They are quick and convenient. Immediate satisfaction usually wins. This is also a money saver over soda. 24 pack of water is $2.50 vs. 12 pack of soda is $3.33 if you buy 3 packs :crazy:
-I started drinking iced tea. I make it from loose leaf tea in a french press and do not add sweetener. At one point I researched tea and it has several healthy things in it. I can't remember any right now :biggrin:
-I stop at the grocery store every day after work to buy dinner. I stick to the outside of the store where the produce is. I've found that I enjoy cooking dinner at home and I enjoy cooking "healthy" dinners too.
-I have fresh cut fruit in my fridge at all times. Either I buy and cut my own and put it in mason jars or I buy the pre-cut stuff that the grocery store prepares in individual containers. Just like the water, quick and convenient. Immediate satisfaction usually wins.
-I bring my lunch to work everyday. This prevents me from going to a fast food place.
-I bring snacks to work. Almonds, granola bar, etc. Snacks at work stop me from wanting to get a cheeseburger on the way home from work because I'm starving.
-I fell in love with broiled fish. Salmon, tilapia, etc. It takes less than 10 minutes and it's ready.

Exercise? Well that's a different story. Did I mention I have low will power? :biggrin:

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
I tried flavoring water, but found plain is the best for me. I am on my 4th 32 oz refill today. My body seems to just be craving it.

AManders6

Jan 24, 2014
I've been on the clean eating train for awhile. It really is a great lifestyle change. I work out as regularly as I can. I don't run as much as I should and I am going to change that. I drink around a gallon of water a day on average and take multiple vitamins to make sure I have everything I need. For awhile I cut out drinking any alcohol when I started playing ball again and it really helped with what I wanted, might do that again for a period since it looks like I'm going to get back into it again. Making the change took conscious effort at first, then become a habit and part of life

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I have been trying to eat a healthier diet, a lot due to having diabetes. I have tried to work out a little more to help lose weight but it is hard when my shoulder is still injured and is taking it sweet time healing. I walk about 5000 to 10,000 steps a day and have been drinking a lot of water.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Its working. Down some lbs. Way more energy. Feeling good.

Really missing my microwave popcorn watching football though. An apple and a banana just are not the same.

This weekend was some good eats though. Some fresh veggie beef soup and a nice venison stew packed with fresh veggies and a deer I killed and processed.

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
Red and I are making our transition over to watching what we eat. First step is replacing all the snack with veggies. I love veggies i just should have been eating them the whole time.

That and Red is attempting to quit smoking so she is eating more, I pretty much quit a while ago (only smoked while drinking out with friends.) Now i'm done to but the effect isn't as bad for me. I have a bow flex to work out i just need a treadmill. Those things are so expensive.

And there is no way I can give up pop, but i gotta atleast cut down on it. Also not giving up my pizza night.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Hatchet said:
I have a bow flex to work out i just need a treadmill. Those things are so expensive.
Hatch,

Craigslist, especially in a month or two. I bought one a few years ago for $120 and after some research, found out that what I got was a commercial quality, residential model that retailed around $1200 when new.

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
Matt said:
Hatch,

Craigslist, especially in a month or two. I bought one a few years ago for $120 and after some research, found out that what I got was a commercial quality, residential model that retailed around $1200 when new.
That's what I have been waiting for. By the end of january or after valentines day I should be able to find a few.

Reactions: Matt

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
I'm not good at this healthy eating crap. I just had a gyro, mozzarella sticks, and a XL pop for lunch... I am not ashamed...

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
I had leftover venison stew and an apple plus a couple raw carrot sticks. Got to stick to it.

Reactions: Sib

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
10 egg whites, banana, and a piece of toast for breakfast/lunch. Dinner is typically a can of Campbell's soup through the week. Quick and easy meal at work. Try to drink at least a half gallon of water a day.

The weekends is where it goes down hill as that usually involves drinking beer and eating out. Plus need to get back into the gym routine again. A good diet only gets me so far.

Sib

Sep 6, 2014
I have always watched what I eat...right up until it goes into my mouth and I can't see it anymore :raspberry: .

I'm glad you started this thread tho trailz. I seriously need to stop with all the crap. Since I have a 2 year old son at home it's gotta happen so we can get him to also eat healthy. If my wife and I don't eat healthy, how can we expect him to eat healthy.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Prepping helps. Got my lunch made for tomorrow. Nice mixed green salad and some veggie soup. Also carrots n apple for snack. Getting ready the night before helps to keep me from grabbing crap on my rush out the door in the morning.

Reactions: AManders6 and Sib

Aarkon

Nov 6, 2013
Great thread kyle I have been watching it since day one. You seem to have done a great job loosing weight already so congrats on that and as a plus you are inspiring others to do the same as well keep up the great work everyone[emoji106]

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Prepping helps. Got my lunch made for tomorrow. Nice mixed green salad and some veggie soup. Also carrots n apple for snack. Getting ready the night before helps to keep me from grabbing crap on my rush out the door in the morning.
That is what my downfall is. I forget the night before. Plus right now I have no veggies in the house. Gotta go shopping.

AManders6

Jan 24, 2014
I moved some boxes around in the in the garage last night and got the treadmill hooked up so I could run without having to drive over to the school. 3/4 of a mile in feeling good, then my nose started bleeding. Damn cool dry air was more than it could handle. I'll have to run extra today to make up for only doing 3/4 of a mile yesterday. Set myself for 20 miles a week minimum

Reactions: Sib and HARDTRAILZ

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
I've been jogging regularly (treadmill in this cold weather) but weight is going nowhere. I think its all the salt from eating out while traveling though I look for the lighter choices on the menu. New York State or at least Suffolk county on LI has the calorie counts on the menus. Those salad like choices can be really bad, almost 1300 calories.

At least the running hasn't been going bad. One morning I dragged myself to the treadmill at the hotel. Really wanted to sleep but about after about 30 seconds felt the energy kick in.

How do you define "eat 5 -6 times a day"?

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
My breakfast. Celery, green peppers, and carrot sticks. Oh and an xl pop. I switch to water after the pop. I'm trying at least.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1423050504550.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423050504550.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 28

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Anybody have any good recommendations for replacing mayo? I'm gonna try to get away from putting that on my sandwiches. I don't like yellow mustard, but I might try some of the other types, the more options the better though.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Can you use an olive oil based mayo?

Reactions: CaptainKD

AManders6

Jan 24, 2014
Blckshdw said:
Anybody have any good recommendations for replacing mayo? I'm gonna try to get away from putting that on my sandwiches. I don't like yellow mustard, but I might try some of the other types, the more options the better though.
when I make things that require mayo, I usually use avocado as a substitute. I put it on sandwiches, wraps, burgers, etc too. Thats what I have replaced it with. Others my have another option, but I love avocado with a bit of hot sauce

Reactions: Sib and CaptainKD

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Matt said:
Can you use an olive oil based mayo?
Haven't seen this at the store, or maybe I just haven't noticed it. :undecided:

AManders6 said:
when I make things that require mayo, I usually use avocado as a substitute. I put it on sandwiches, wraps, burgers, etc too. Thats what I have replaced it with. Others my have another option, but I love avocado with a bit of hot sauce
Ahh yes, this super food I keep hearing about. Do you cut up fresh ones, or get a store bought product, like a spread or something?

Reactions: AManders6

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Greek Yogurt is a decent sub for mayo.

The olive oil stuff is regular grocery thing. Not as bad for you and pretty good.

Reactions: AManders6

AManders6

Jan 24, 2014
Blckshdw said:
Haven't seen this at the store, or maybe I just haven't noticed it. :undecided:

Ahh yes, this super food I keep hearing about. Do you cut up fresh ones, or get a store bought product, like a spread or something?
I cut up fresh ones and mash them up a bit, mixing in hot sauce. One usually is more than enough for one sandwich and then some. You can even cut one or two up and use them as base for something like chicken salad or as salad dressing

Reactions: CaptainKD

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Good info guys, I may pick one up this weekend, give it a shot, and see how I like it.

I did switch my salad base from iceberg lettuce, to spinach earlier this week. I'll admit, it was really trippy, looking down into my bowl, and seeing full leaves staring back at me. Kinda like those weird back yard concoctions you used make as a kid, throwing random stuff from around the yard into a bucket... :crazy: Surprisingly, I liked it much better than the options I would get in those different 'greens in a bag' gimmicks. So that change will be an easy keeper. :yes:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Blckshdw said:
Good info guys, I may pick one up this weekend, give it a shot, and see how I like it.

I did switch my salad base from iceberg lettuce, to spinach earlier this week. I'll admit, it was really trippy, looking down into my bowl, and seeing full leaves staring back at me. Kinda like those weird back yard concoctions you used make as a kid, throwing random stuff from around the yard into a bucket... :crazy: Surprisingly, I liked it much better than the options I would get in those different 'greens in a bag' gimmicks. So that change will be an easy keeper. :yes:
I have been using Romane Lettuce

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
We keep 4 or 5 kinds of lettuce around now. Eat at least one salad n bunch of carrot sticks daily.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
I hit 20 lbs lost. Feeling better by far, but stir-fry has gotten old and looking into some other clean recipes if anyone has anything good they have tried lately.

Reactions: Matt and AManders6

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online