Clean 4-channel amp install in Trailblazer (in place of OnStar Module)

JPutnam

Original poster
Jun 30, 2017
Ft. Bragg
I just installed a 4-channel Rockford Fosgate Prime R250X4 class A/B amp in my Trailblazer to power my Polk Audio DB6501 and DB652 speakers. I did have them running off my Pioneer head unit but the tweeters were way to harsh and the woofers were barely putting anything out, so I figured it needed more juice since they were rated for 100w. The 652's in the back sounded nice, but they were components and didn't need as much juice. They still did not have the punch I have heard them produce in other vehicles. I wanted to get the 400X4 class D amp, but I got a deal on this one and it will work till I get the funds. They are the same size anyway and will be a plug-in-play setup later. I can't complain about this one though: sounds nice and gets plenty loud.

I didn't want to install it under the front seats because I was worried about it getting water on it from the kids spilling something in the back seat. Up under the passenger rear seat there is a box for the Onstar under a plastic clamshell. Since the 2002's use the old analog system for the network it was useless without the upgrade so I removed the box and found a nice flat surface to mount the amp. I just had to place a piece of plywood over the bracket to make it larger. A mini amp would mount perfectly to it, like one of the Boosted Rail amps.

I routed the cables under the carpet without even removing it. I just had to remove the jack tool carrier (3 nuts) and the drivers side passenger seat bottom (4 nuts) to cut out slots to pull the cable through to the center console. This way when everything was reinstalled the slits int the carpet were hidden under the hardware. The power cable was ran along the drivers side door sill to the rear fuse box and then across to the tool mount using the same method.

Sounds amazing and looks almost stock.

IMG_20170624_222651493.jpg IMG_20170624_222815950.jpg IMG_20170624_223806344.jpg IMG_20170624_223906148.jpg IMG_20170624_223900746.jpg IMG_20170624_223817864.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Blckshdw

JPutnam

Original poster
Jun 30, 2017
Ft. Bragg
Ok, what the hell? Why are the pictures not working?

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Since the 2002's use the old analog system for the network it was useless without the upgrade so I removed the box and found a nice flat surface to mount the amp.

:iagree:That's a better use for that real estate, anyway. :thumbsup:
I've already ripped out the system and that area will be a prime candidate for my Pioneer 5-channel, if I ever get around to installing it.

One issue - your pics don't display in the thread - and they would be well worth seeing. Try again - please... :pictures:

JPutnam

Original poster
Jun 30, 2017
Ft. Bragg
I'm not sure how. I am using Dropbox and used the link for it. If you right click on the link you can open it that way in a new tab. I'll work on it though...

JPutnam

Original poster
Jun 30, 2017
Ft. Bragg
Fixed original post with Photobucket links instead.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That won't last long. Photobucket wants $400/year to do that.

Reactions: JPutnam

JPutnam

Original poster
Jun 30, 2017
Ft. Bragg
Well, crap. How the hell do I do it then?

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
You should be able to use the 'upload a file' option at the bottom of the reply window. At least, that's what I did earlier today in another thread - and tested it here.

Thing is, that uses storage space on the site (which costs $), but I've seen mods, etc., encourage people to do it, rather than link to the pics as you did - because links go bad, accounts get dropped, etc. - and then the pics are gone. Probably going to be a lot more gone in the future, if Photobucket is charging that kind of money to host pics & allow linkage. :worried:

Anyway, take them down from Photobucket and see if you can post them directly. I wouldn't pay PB $400/yr for the 'privilege', and I certainly wouldn't ask anyone else to, either.

If you're feeling bad about using bandwidth on the site, a membership here goes a long way toward easing that guilt...lol. Plus, it helps keep the site online. For 5% of what you'd be asked to spend on PB, you're helping keep this site afloat and helping yourself & other GMT owners in perpetuity. If you wind up making one repair yourself instead of paying someone else to do it, or finding a resource here that you couldn't find elsewhere - you're $$$ ahead.

Ok...getting down off my soapbox now...and thanks for reposting the pics! :hail:

JPutnam

Original poster
Jun 30, 2017
Ft. Bragg
Cool, updated the post. That was actually easy and came out a lot cleaner. Definately worth the upgrade to a membership. In just a few hours I have found out more than I ever did in the months of being on that other Trailblazer site.

Kinda reminds me of when I was on FullSizeChevy and it when to crap then everyone went to GMT400 and the crap went away.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yep, the same happened to us. We were on TV and a revolt led to the creation of this site. We do occasionally refer to it for certain archived info but we have already built up a lot here so we don't go there as often anymore.

Although we are heavy on the GMT360/370, we do have a full size section and we are building that up too.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
That's actually where I located my sub amp since I use the in floor spot.

JPutnam

Original poster
Jun 30, 2017
Ft. Bragg
well, in that case I will have to upload the excel file for the LS1 411 PCM swap on the GMT400 section. I can't count the times that sheet has saved time on electrical gremlins with the old black PCM.

Thinking of which, I might have to get the wiring diagrams from Wilson and make a simular file for the GMT360. Could I post the wiring diagrams I downloaded from their site and post them on a thread on here? I compiled them into one large PDF file. I don't know if there would be a permission issue there or not.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ready67

Members Online