Cigarette Lighter Socket

freddyboy61

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Both of my lower dash mounted cigarette lighter sockets are getting intermittent, has anyone replaced theirs and where did you get the items? There are many universal ones out there, but don't know if they fit. Tx

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I went to a salvage yard, and pulled them out of another GMT360. That way I know its the right socket plug, and fitment. Just look for one that has no rust, or other crap in there, get em pulled, put em in your pocket, have a nice day.... At least thats what I do.. :squint: Its always fun trying to find one that has those cap things still in tact.

Reactions: Mooseman

freddyboy61

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Unfortunately, in our neck of the woods salvage yards don't don't allow people to rummage, insurance I guess.

Jan 19, 2021
us
i wouldnt ever bother with a pick and pull these items are very inexpensive brand new from amazon and ebay

i swapped all three of the lighter outputs to usb on mines

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Do both go down at the same time? Could be wiring. I had that problem when a heated seat melted the wiring somewhere on the left one, also taking out the OBD port. The other plug was fine. If I tried just jumping it, it would blow the fuse so I had to completely isolate that plug and the OBD port. At the plug, I tapped into the right plug and the OBD I tapped into the trailer Bat+.

If it is the plugs, I agree with @ThatOneWhiteTruck , one you could put a USB charging port. There's even some that have a voltage display. The hole dimensions should be the same.

freddyboy61

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Thanks Mooseman, but I need the original receptacle for my FM adapter (old school!) and other accessories.

freddyboy61

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Found OEM receptacles on Rock Auto for half the price at Amazon, even with shipping it's a good deal.

freddyboy61

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Just finished replacing the two cigar lighter sockets and it was not fun. First, the socket itself would not come out of the plastic shell, the locking tabs are plastic and would not release. I ended up brute forcing the socket out. Then when trying to plug in the electrical connectors, I find that there is a keyway on the wrong side of the socket, I had to Dremel that part of the connector. And these were supposedly OEM sockets from Rock Auto.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online