Chronic Power Steering Line/Cooler Leak

ComputernerdBD

Original poster
Aug 24, 2014
Hey everyone. Well seems I keep having issues with return lines on the driver side between the rack and cooler. This time, got yet another leak right at the cooler where the hose connects with a clamp. It is the Dorman model I replaced in 2013. Lately it has been the return line, either leaking near the rack or above the cooler where the metal is crimped to rubber hose or at the cooler. Last time it was worm gear clamps that dug into the hose and destroyed it, had it replaced with a Sunsong hose with permanently crimped fittings. This time I have the factory style spring clamps at the cooler fitting. I am starting to wonder if the cooler fitting is scraped up and allowing the slow leak. I noticed also the newer Dorman coolers have a barb on the fittings which are longer. Did they redesign them or should I go back to OEM which appears easier to rust? I replaced mine originally as it was rotted. Thanks

Update: Which is better? I was leaning toward Dorman again but breaking my own rule of OEM unless aftermarket is better. I was concerned about OEM fin style cooler trapping salt and water in the fins like the last one that rotted. The Dorman is 6 years old and strong.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I replaced my PS cooler with a small tranny cooler. Cheaper and won't rust. For clamps, the regular worm gear type are fine, just don't over tighten them. You could also use the type for fuel injection hose which puts even pressure all around the hose. I would also double clamp at each connection no matter the type of clamp.

ComputernerdBD

Original poster
Aug 24, 2014
Great tip but where would I put something like that, especially if I already have a big tranny cooler up front?

Really with the worm gear clamps, so that would mean the last guy overtightened them because it damaged the hose on the previous hoses. Are the factory style spring clamps any good? I don't think the Dorman cooler I have has barbs on the fittings, did they add those in response to problems? Two fuel injection clamps in same or opposite direction?

Thanks

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
where would I put something like that, especially if I already have a big tranny cooler up front?

If you have the tranny cooler on one side, just install it on the other. That's what I did on the Saab. IIRC, I put the tranny on the passenger side and the PS cooler of the driver side of the rad.

Are the factory style spring clamps any good?

Maybe but I don't like them personally. They're made for quick assembly on the assembly line.

I don't think the Dorman cooler I have has barbs on the fittings, did they add those in response to problems?

No clue. Never used theirs.

Two fuel injection clamps in same or opposite direction?

In opposite, like this:
maxresdefault.jpg

But use fuel injection hose clamps instead, like these:

thumbnail_FI-CLAMPSweb.jpg

They are a smooth and put even pressure all around. They're even rounded on the edges to prevent cutting into the hose.

ComputernerdBD

Original poster
Aug 24, 2014
I am going to look into getting a tranny cooler then and additional hoses to extend the lines as a permanent solution, I already had a Dorman part around since this was going to have to be replaced either way as I also found another issue with that. I ended up throwing that in and found that the clamp on the leaking hose was bent into an oval shape. That plus the scrapes on the fitting I can see why it was leaking. I picked up fuel injection clamps and spring clamps, I can see the clear differences in how they apply pressure to the outside of the hose.

Shocking the differences in quality with a 2013 vs 2019 Dorman parts. The 2013 part the pipes are spaced and right into the ends of the opening in the cooler frame, the rivets are larger, the bracket between the pipes is thicker, has better quality hardware on it, no play in the brackets, yes I was wrong they did have barbs. The 2019 part the pipes were inconsistently spaced, I even got another one and found the same thing, paint missing in places, the bracket between the pipes was thinner metal with a nut and screw instead of a welded nut, the rivets were alot smaller and not even punched all the way through so the bracket on both the new parts was loose on one side (not even the same side between both parts). The 2nd part I bought from another store had the same problems plus one of the flares was incomplete and not fully formed so almost flat. I would also be concerned about the pipes rubbing against other metal such as the bracket or frame and eventually forming a pinhole leak like one Amazon review demonstrated. The new cooler also did not fit the same way and had to push the lines right up against the frame to get it to fit. Plus side the 2013 part did not rust except for a little on the brackets. May be better than OEM but has problems in other areas. Too bad it is only Dorman vs OEM vs custom option... I will post up some comparison photos later. Thanks

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online