SOLVED! chirping noise when driving, braking sounds like a 'sprinkler'

zaid3ssaf

Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Midwest
02 Bravada with 235K. I'm not sure how to describe the problem but the front end (or maybe the back) squeeks or chirps when driving normally, I can hear the chirp from 5 mph and it doesn't go away even at 60 mph. I'm not sure what caused it so here's what I did to the vehicle:

1 year ago: I took out the CV axles and 'disabled' the transfer case because of a bad front diff.
6 months ago: -Replaced the front 2 wheel bearings.
-Replaced the front brake pads and rotors:
-Brake pedal felt spongy and pulsated a little, so I flushed out the lines (one person method) except for the front driver side because I couldn't get the bleed valve screw to open.
-Pulsation persisted as well as noise which sounded like the pads touch the rotors once a cycle which was very noticeable after hard braking. After lubricating the glide pins, it seemed to go away for about a month or two.
5 months ago: -New ball joints and sway bar links
4 weeks ago: -clicking noise in the front end. El cheapo hubs! Luckily I had an extra one hand so I replaced it. Smooth ride again
3 weeks ago: -I heard the chirping noise once, very low and it went away.
2 weeks ago: -New Detroit axle struts and shocks. The struts were about an inch longer than OEMs but they fit after loosening the sway bar links. No chirp no weird noises but pulsating in the brake pedal still remain
Last week: -Got an alignment and everything went to crap. LOUD chirping noise and shop blamed it on my brakes which I cant blame them as the brakes were pulsating and feeling funky.
-Since I had tires of different brands in the front, I moved the 2 tires from the back (same brand) to the front (all tires are P235/65 R17 )but the chirping remained.
-Installed new glide pins and boots in the front made sure everything is lubed and torqued properly. Now the brakes sound like an impact sprinkler when applied (chirping goes away) but once I let go of brakes, chirping is back. The faster I go the more it chirps

Doesn't matter if I'm turning, going uphill or downhill, in neutral or in drive, flat or bumpy, the chirp is still there. I will be replacing the rear brakes and rotors Thursday but other than that I completely give up on this. Do you guys have any idea what this could be? Maybe a U joint?

Brakes applied:

Chirp sound (no brakes applied)

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Check the dust shields. They are a frequent source of these noises as they rust and get deformed to make contact with the rotor. Just remove them. They are not necessary.

In the rear, check the parking brakes as well as the dust shields. Check for rust in the inner rotor/drum slot where the lip of the dust shield rides in as well as the shield itself being deformed and making contact in there.

Have the rear jacked up and turn the driveshaft. Could be a dry u-joint.

zaid3ssaf

Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Midwest
Check the dust shields. They are a frequent source of these noises as they rust and get deformed to make contact with the rotor. Just remove them. They are not necessary.

In the rear, check the parking brakes as well as the dust shields. Check for rust in the inner rotor/drum slot where the lip of the dust shield rides in as well as the shield itself being deformed and making contact in there.

Have the rear jacked up and turn the driveshaft. Could be a dry u-joint.

I remember that shields didn't touch the front rotors when spinning them by hand; obviously it can be different when the vehicle is under load. I can remove the from the front but I think I'll have to take the axles out in the back. Also, I don't have parking shoes installed so its not possible for them to rub.

Do I need to turn the drive shaft by hand or put it in drive while jacked up?

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
May have to try both if you can't pinpoint it.

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
pull your drive / fan belt and run without it and see what happens to the sound. Further, IF the sound happens in neutral (if I understand your post), then it is unlikely to be in the drive train / brake / wheels.

Reactions: Mooseman

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
OK... but then what do you mean by this part of an earlier post... "Doesn't matter if I'm turning, going uphill or downhill, in neutral or in drive, flat or bumpy, the chirp is still there."

If you are in neutral and moving, does changing throttle, change the sound? The second video gives an "illusion" that you are in neutral and reving.

zaid3ssaf

Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Midwest
OK... but then what do you mean by this part of an earlier post... "Doesn't matter if I'm turning, going uphill or downhill, in neutral or in drive, flat or bumpy, the chirp is still there."

If you are in neutral and moving, does changing throttle, change the sound?
Sorry, it just means that as long as I am moving, the sound is there. I tried putting in neutral and roll down the hill and the sound didn't go away. I will try changing the throttle and hopefully that might tell us something

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
the other check is to look at the brake "feelers"... some times during installs people may have bent them accidentally. Also, if I recall, there maybe some "directional difference" in terms of "right and left" on the pads. Related to that, what happens if you travel in the reverse?

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
That is my "memory"... and I don't always remember well... it might actually pertain to inner / outer.
The "reverse test" may tell you something.

zaid3ssaf

Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Midwest
That is my "memory"... and I don't always remember well... it might actually pertain to inner / outer.
The "reverse test" may tell you something.

I checked with the manufacturer and there's no directional difference.

May have to try both if you can't pinpoint it.
It turns out to be the rear passenger rotor warping badly. My guess is a small piece of gravel got stock and there and scored the rotor badly leading to unven wear. The sound seemed to come from the front but I was wrong (Also the rear ones were 2 months old). Anyway, I put new pads and rotors and its running butter smooth :2thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.