Chevy VS GMC

rjpoog1989

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I've been spending a little time over on GMINSIDENEWS drooling over the 2014 Silverado and waiting for the specs to be released. If you've heard Mark Reuss' speech when the trucks were unveiled he talked about the different buyers that usually sway towards one brand or another:

"Silverado customers want a truck that’s honest, hardworking, and dependable — just like they are. One they can pass on to their children. This has been the Silverado mission for generations and we will not waiver from it.”

“But the Silverado won’t take on the competition by itself alone. Sierra customers are the people that others turn to for expertise and advice. They know that the devil is in the details, and believe that if something is worth doing, it is worth doing well. So, they look for things that make them better at what they do. And they are willing to pay more for premium products with distinctive craftsmanship and the content that they want. For these customers, we’re using professional-grade engineering to carve out an all-new 2014 GMC Sierra.”

Many people over there think that GM should kill GMC and make a Chevy for everyone instead of having two separate brands. I would like to know what everyone over here thinks of this. Why did some of you buy GMC over Chevy and visa-versa.

I'll start:
I bought my current GMC because it had the features I wanted had low miles and the price was right. Not because of any social stigma that came with having it over the chevy. I usually like the looks of Chevy's better, but the GMC Canyon actually looks a little better to me than the Chevy Colorado.

TexazReece

Dec 4, 2011
I Love both Chevy/GMC ( sticking to American ). In some cases they each have their good/bad I LOVE the 2014 Seirra :salivate::hail: and the current Yukons from GMC. I think it's just what you look for and what appeals to you is what determines which one you'd go for. Oh and can't forget about those that stay loyal to a brand ( through family, self choice etc.)

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I looked at all three and ended up with the Envoy because liked the option packages.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
it is all marketing, since they come off the same line with the same parts (with minor variations)

that said, I like Chevy. probably cause they sold the GMCs at the Buick dealer when I was a kid and those guys were not nice to kids who wandered into the dealership.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
I think there both great really! Everything with them is so similar but those small things that makes them different like a tahoe to yukon idea.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Same truck to me. I dont give a shit which badge is on it. It is a GM truck and that is what I want. If I swapped my Suburban grill no one would know it is a GMC. I call it a Chevy all the time out of habit.

My buddy owns a dealership and says the only difference is the GMC seats are cushier... I do not really buy into that.

They are the same trucks with different interior and minor exterior options. Pick the one you like...you wont be disappointed.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
I buy GM's because they depreciate at an unfair pace. I think you get more used for your money than you should when used. I'd buy the GMC because I would only buy the top option package of any given GM pickup truck and GMC has the Denali Package. Again, expensive new but a little negotiation in the used market and it's a steal. Since I have no use for a pickup, I can only really relate it to the current Tahoe versus the Yukon.

mrphoenix80

Jan 1, 2013
I buy GM's because it is what I grew up with and under.:yes: I feel a little off because I am missing a couple(caddy and olds).
I got my Envoy because it was the one the bank went for.

My 95 Jimmy because I got a smokin deal on it (with 136k for $400).It was a mistake because it needed a lot of work. It became a 2008 in big hurry. Can't say I miss this one, it was a headache from before I even owned it.

My 93 Chevy S10 came because I told the guy I want a GM with a stick, and that is what he had. After almost 13 years in the family I can say it was worth every penny. I want to fix it up so I got the parts I need for it, a cab, a box, inner and outer fenders, both doors, the hood, tailgate, and a Frame. I think that should do it!:raspberry:

I got my 85 Buick Skyhawk in a drawing for perfect attendance in high school. After 12 years it fell apart.:frown: I still miss her.

And my 80 Pontiac Phoenix was given to my parents in 90, And I fell in love:inlove:. My ex-girl friend told me "You love that car more than me" my reply? I still have the car!:yes:

BO TIE SS

Nov 18, 2011
I bought a Chevy because the 6.0 wasn't available in the GMC. :wink:

Actually, I do like the body and interior of the Trailblazer better than the Envoy. With that said...if I had known about the 9-7 Areo when I bought my SS, I would probably looked for one of those instead.

Phantom

Jun 17, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
My buddy owns a dealership and says the only difference is the GMC seats are cushier... I do not really buy into that.

You know... I was actually thinking the same thing yesterday. Drove my TB for about an hour or so and then got into Phantom and that was the first thing I noticed. and its not like the seats are worn more phantom has less miles than my TB by about 40000. But its funny you say that, as I thought the same thing.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
GMC and Chevy do a nice job of mixing up the options just enough so that you have to make a decision on one or the other depending on your wants/needs.
I was (fantasy) spec-ing out a Canyon vs Colorado as a possible future replacement for the Denali.I was getting a little pissed because my criteria of a 4WD,5.3,SWB,leather int. seems to be unobtainable unless I could make a hybrid Chev/GMC truck.
And while I'm at it WTF doesn't GM make an SUV on this platform??I mean 75% of the work is already done:hissyfit:....Mike.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
It's hard to know why GM does anything.

They went with an in-line five cylinder instead of the I6 (from what I've read) because the I6 had too much power for the Canyon/Colorado platform. Then, they turn around and offer the 5.3 V8. :crazy:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I bought my GMC because it looks better IMHO than the Chevy counterpart. I believe that GM should dump Chevrolet from the truck market, and go strictly with GMC for the truck market...

They also need to quit with the damn crossbreeding. GMC Terrain, Pontiac Torrent, Chevy Equinox, Caddi SRX, Chevy Captiva, and a few others.., All the same vehicle. Boy that plant is spitting them out aren't they!

No wonder Pontiac went away, and so should have Buick. They lost all brand recognition.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
I picked the Envoy because I liked the interior styling better. I knew once you got past the sheet metal and trim, there weren't any differences between the Voy and the TB. I got the Silverado because the salesman was the only one to get back to us with several choices in what we wanted. The 2011 Silverado and Sierra have almost no interior differences than the Voy/TB. and very minor external sheet metal differences.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozzyextlt

Members Online