Chevy EV Blazer PPV

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA

Chevrolet is releasing new details of the all-new electric 2024 Chevy Blazer Police Patrol Vehicle (PPV) EV. The model is Chevy’s first all-electric Blazer for police, set to debut in the first quarter of 2024.

The Chevy Blazer, a legacy favorite, is getting an EV makeover in General Motors (GM) vision of an all-electric future. The news comes after GM’s CFO said the automaker is hitting an inflection point with scaling its EV strategy.

GM is investing $35 billion between 2020 and 2025 to boost EV production and gain market share. The automaker is also working to secure critical EV resources for its electric growth strategy.

For example, GM has “binding agreements” to cover all EV battery raw materials for 1 million annual capacity by 2025.

Chevy will be critical in GM’s transition to an all-electric future. The company currently offers the Chevy Bolt, with an EPA-estimated range of 259 miles, and the Chevy Bolt EUV, an electric SUV with an EPA-estimated range of 247 miles.

Despite this, Chevy has struggled to gain EV market share. None of its vehicles rank in the top ten best-selling EVs in its home country so far this year.

Chevy has plans to change this; the all-electric 2024 Silverado EV pickup is getting a lot of attention, offering up to 400 miles of range. The Silverado will take on the popular Ford f-150 Lightning in the EV pickup market, where Ford has continued seeing success.

Then, it introduced the highly anticipated 2024 Chevy Blazer EV in July, with up to 320-mile range. The Blazer is built on GM’s Ultium EV platform, offering several different trims.

Today, Chevy is giving us a closer look at the Chevy Blazer Police Patrol Vehicle (PPV) edition.

2024 Chevy Blazer PPV EV Source: Chevrolet
2024 Chevy Blazer PPV EV Source: Chevrolet

Take a look at the electric Chevy Blazer Police Patrol Vehicle (PPV) EV​

The new all-electric Chevy Blazer PPV edition is the first ‘pursuit rated’ EV from Chevy ever made. The Blazer PPV EV is based on the Chevy Blazer EV SS while meeting Michigan State Police standards.

The PPV edition will feature patrol-specific upgrades such as underbody skid plates, police-grade tires, and emergency medical supplies. In addition, the Blazer PPV EV can handle light towing (Ex. bike rack or small trailer).

The new EV patrol car will be based on the largest GM Ultium battery pack, around 1,200 pounds, attached to the chassis. Chevy includes Brembo brakes, featured on its high-performance vehicles for enhanced braking ability.

Vice President of GM Fleet, Ed Peppers, spoke highly of the Blazer EV PPV, saying:

During the Blazer EV’s development, we spoke with many law enforcement groups across the U.S. and Canada to learn how an all-electric PPV would serve them best and the Blazer EV PPV delivers.
On the inside, the seats, seat belts, and steering wheel are modified for police safety. For example, the seat belts are police duty, while the steering wheel has modified controls for easier access and communication.

The trunk offers greater storage for gear by removing the “civilian models” false floor. It also comes with a police-specific center console and rear seats.

Chevrolet will begin production of the Chevy Blazer PPV EV in early 2024 (Q1), while prices are expected to come in mid-2023.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It had to happen.

Range will be the biggest factor but then also interior space. I absolutely hated the Ferd Exploder because of its interior space and I think the Blazer is about the same. For big guys like me, it will likely be a hard pass. In fact, we went with more Tahoes because of that. Add the shotgun/carbine rack, silent partner, etc, it will be a tight squeeze.

Reactions: Redbeard

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
Moose, there was also a good reason why very few of you embraced the Impala when it was first introduced in 2000. Lack of shoulder room. I was at Mosport in 1999, testing the new Impala Police with Blue Line Magazine, and I predicted then that it would not sell much in comparison to the soon-to-be-discontinued Crown Vic. It turned out I was right, and GM eventually concentrated all their efforts on the pursuit-rated 2WD and 4WD Tahoes. It was only a few inches lacking in shoulder room, but it was an important few inches. I will wait until I start working on my article on the 2023 MSP tests for Blue Line's February issue to decide but I have driven the Blazer ... and it's no Trailblazer.

(GM Police Vehicles in Oshawa were nice enough to give me some tips on setting up my TB because they secretly sold a lot to stolen auto units across the country because they were fast, tough and - most important - ubiquitous.)

When I did the 2022 article on the MSP tests, with the new Ford Mach E, I was not impressed. It was fast and the battery would last all shift ... but not both at the same time. Four laps of the Gratton Raceway in MSP tests dropped battery capacity from 80% to 50%. Range would be measured in minutes at top speed. Add two officers in winter gear, with lights, computers, heaters and radios all sucking juice, and tomorrow's officers will need to plug in half way through every shift.

And tell me this Moose. How many times did you climb into a Tahoe and find the previous shift only left you half a tank of gas? LOL.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Thats the part that I think most are forgetting.

For a EV to work in the real world police, every department would have to buy 3 for every shift officer. They do run 24/7. So that means 3 shifts, maybe 2, and that EV just isnt going to cut it when it has to charge for 1 hour to get a good portion of that charge back, 30% up to 80% (which still wont be enough for a shift).

I can foresee that the departments are going to be telling drivers that they cant run AC or heat unless they are actively driving

Says the guy thats buying a EV..

Edit:

Officer: In Pursiot of a bank robbery subject, southbound on the I-5. Vehicle appears to be occupied 1 time. He is armed and dangerous! Subject is driving a Toyota Prius, license plate CHRGTHS, out of California.
Sergeant: Dont loose that subject
Officer: 10-4. Send backup.
Sergeant: Im not sending backup, its a Pruis, and Im at Starbucks getting my unit recharged.
Officer: Yes, its a Prius, Im at the end of my shift, and I am at 7% battery, and hes pulling away.
Sergeant: SHIT! Dispatch, send backup.
Dispatch: All officers are currently tied up at Starbucks for their shift recharge, that vehicle comes back as stolen... Uh.. Sergeant, we found your stolen Prius!

Edit2: The impalas were a step up from the Gen 1.5 Lumina, but the Gen 1 Lumina was actually not bad... all 3 were INCREDIBLY slow!

Gen 1 Lumina
Chevrolet Lumina Police Car | US-Car Treffen Stausee Oberwal… | Flickr

Gen 1.5 Lumina
FAU Police on Twitter: A little #TBT of our cars through the years 1st up  is tagged 1974 and appears to be in Lot 5 (where the stadium is now).  Second photo

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And tell me this Moose. How many times did you climb into a Tahoe and find the previous shift only left you half a tank of gas? LOL.
Very rarely since I was a supervisor and we usually only had the same trucks to share among us and we knew who we were. There were exceptional circumstances of course, like a 4am impaired that went beyond the shift.

Ugh, you had to remind me of the Impalas. We had them and they sucked. However, I did have a 1.5 Lumina and I liked it a lot. Back then, we didn't have Tahoes or Suburbans and all the other cars (Vics and Caprices) were RWD so they sucked in the snow. The Recaro seats gave me good back support but others hated it because it was hard.

Speaking of which, summer and winter driving with the EVs will be short with heat and AC being used en mass. With all the gear we wear, I always kept the AC maxed. And with -20c and below winters, they won't last long.,

EVs will be good for some people. Not police work.

Ilikemy3s

Dec 3, 2011
to extend the range of the PPVs for the officers, do you think GM might consider going Hybrid and put small 4 cyl. ICE in the frunk to heck charge the batteries ?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
We once had a Prius fully marked car:

RCMP_car_in_Ottawa_crop.jpg

It was used on Parliament Hill but this was before we had computers in the cars (in Ottawa) and gun racks so space wasn't as important and it only drove around in circles (literally). Don't know how it fared but it was one Member's suggestion to try one out. It was the only one that I know of that was ever put into service.

to extend the range of the PPVs for the officers, do you think GM might consider going Hybrid and put small 4 cyl. ICE in the frunk to heck charge the batteries ?
So basically you're suggesting Volts. Pretty sure performance will not be there for regular patrol but may be possible for certain duties like Parliament Hill or other places where range and performance is not an issue. I think the problem with hybrids in police work is the idling where the engine would be on most of the time anyway which will negate any savings and may affect the batteries negatively. However, I think the industry is trying to get away from gas altogether and going pure electric so even hybrids are on their way out.

At this point in time, anything electric is just not there yet for police work.

Reactions: $ Khalid ! 9130

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online